April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Adventures across the 3rd dimension

07 May 2022 07:39 #40605 by Charlotte
:woohoo:
What a fashion statement! Not quite what I envisioned but probably better ;)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

07 May 2022 11:28 #40606 by Valence
Not what I envisioned either. :lol:

I can tone down the crazy hues by just letting them pick up the vertex colours and that looks a bit more natural but I'm not sure if that kind of thing would work for the final image.

I did look on YouTube for feather tutorials but they're a bit complicated and the realistic ones seem to involve lots of hairs just for the detailed instance object, which sounds like something that would slow down my PC. An alternative is to have a soft transparent texture on a plane but my first attempt at that looked very ugly and colouring it seemed problematic.

I think I'll leave all that for now and start to experiment with a background. All my 3D efforts so far have had pretty sparse, unimaginative surroundings so I'd like that to change for this one.

07 May 2022 12:03 #40607 by Charlotte
Well if it helps I believe most of the early feathers on most non-birdy dinos were more like coarse hairs anyway :)

08 May 2022 18:38 #40611 by Banj
Having Corsairs would be handy in a race 

08 May 2022 19:18 #40615 by Charlotte
Pirates? Pirates aren't handy, they tend to have hooks instead... :dumb:

09 May 2022 13:14 #40619 by Banj
Attachments:

09 May 2022 13:38 #40622 by Charlotte
Flying Marines!? :ohmy:

09 May 2022 19:31 #40629 by Valence

I think I'll leave all that for now and start to experiment with a background. All my 3D efforts so far have had pretty sparse, unimaginative surroundings so I'd like that to change for this one.

:pout: :( :cry: :rage: 

This... is not working. :nope:

:eyeroll:

10 May 2022 11:41 #40630 by Valence
Tried again late last night but my landscape attempt is still not working.
I started off by using the TXA addon...

...which is pretty good but once it adds the textures it slows down by a substantial amount and that was just at a low resolution.
So I then decided to texture the mesh myself with a rock and grass mixture blended with a soft vertex colour mask and then scattered some particle trees in an attempt to follow this tutorial...

Of course, mine looked nothing like that. :dry:
It's really hard to get the different textures to look unified as if they belong together and as soon as you switch to realistic sky based lighting (whether using HDR or just the built-in Sky texture) the difference between Eevee and Cycles becomes glaringly obvious. The real time shaders just can't cope with it so I end up constantly in Cycles trying to tweak texture setting and then waiting 20 seconds for the screen to update before I know that those settings were wrong. :)

But on the plus side I did learn about that vertex colour masking trick AND I made a low poly tree using the skin modifier. :aha:

10 May 2022 12:50 - 10 May 2022 12:54 #40632 by Banj
You could try something like this and paint your environment in Artrage:

EDIT - Obviously this would be more useful for animation than a still as you could just composite the dino into a painted background after the fact, but if you are using things like trees and stuff in the scene it might be worthwhile.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Valence