April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Adventures across the 3rd dimension

13 May 2022 18:39 #40672 by Banj
He looks happy to be there.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 May 2022 20:37 #40676 by Valence
He looks slightly confused by his own lighting. :dumb:

16 May 2022 14:45 #40690 by Valence
I'm definitely gonna have to split this into multiple renders.
Been trying to get the foreground grass to look a bit more varied, and less rubbish, but the textures/materials are taking so long to compile that Blender's becoming almost unusable.
I really don't know how games manage to do this in real time while my inferior efforts are creaking under the pressure. :P

Oh, and I think the too-blue problem may be down to the transmission value being too high.
Not that it looks any better by lowering it. It just looks... less blue. :shrug:

16 May 2022 14:54 #40693 by Charlotte
I thought transmissions were something in cars :dumb:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

16 May 2022 18:16 #40696 by Valence
:dunno:
It's a bit like translucency. Or something. :dry:

Anyway, here's today's "progress"...

Still looks like a load of separate cut-outs at different depths like a "special" "effect" from way back when. :lol:

For this one the grassy foreground is particle hair rather than scattered meshes. I think the shading is better on these but it's harder to control their orientation. Of course I could comb the grass to shape it, couldn't I? :hmm:
And the ambient world light is blowing out my shadows again. :shakefist:
Attachments:

16 May 2022 19:02 #40697 by Charlotte
I think it looks quite good. The lonely pointy mountain looks a bit out of place, though.. I guess a volcano could look like tht but it seems to me a flatter top might look more like part of the rest of the landscape. (But living on a "plateau mountain", I might be somewhat partial, I guess...)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Valence

16 May 2022 19:47 - 16 May 2022 19:48 #40698 by Valence
One of the last things I did was to make the mountain more pointy. :lol:
And it was stretching the texture a bit much too, so it may indeed be better to tone it down.
I had hoped that a towering mountain would add scale and depth to the landscape but it isn't working. I just cannot get the smooth transistion from foreground to middle to background. Everything looks a little too close and nothing seems to belong together even though they do have the same lighting.

I may ditch the surrounding volume domain and instead try to do the mist manually. Perhaps having more control over where it goes will help. Or not. :dry:

16 May 2022 20:06 #40699 by Banj
I like the mountain  . I think the BG looks ok, maybe the trees on the left look a little close, or the wrong scale in comparison to the dinosaurs. Or it's possibly just that they are fairly bright and saturated compared to the foreground.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Valence

16 May 2022 20:14 #40700 by Valence
Yeah, I would have liked some of that mist to be in front of those trees as the "shaded" part is way too dark, especially with the washed out shadows of the dinos. But as it's generated by random noise it's hard to put it where it needs to be.
Hopefully the manual mist might solve that. I'm also thinking about doing some foreground trees with that Sapling generator if I can work out the settings.
On the plus side that may help with the depth but my experience so far suggests that it'll just be another different element that will look out of place. :)

17 May 2022 17:03 #40714 by Valence
Ditches World Gradient for Dynamic Sky! :)
With no shadows in Eevee. :(
Switches to Cycles! :)
(10 minute render)
And now some of my trees are reflective/transparent/grey?! :cry:

Also been playing around with the Mist Pass. And that looks pretty good... if you haven't already split everything into two separate scenes. :facepalm:
I may just start this landscape again from the beginning. :shrug: