April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Adventures across the 3rd dimension

17 Feb 2022 06:16 #39635 by Charlotte
Might have to do with vertices being single points in space... I think I vaguely remember something to that effect from when I did vrml stuff. Not that I did any texture painting back then (either). But I have a vague feeling there was something different about vertexcolours and indexcolours or some such.... :dumb:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Feb 2022 12:26 #39636 by Valence
Yeah, vertex painting only really works when you have an absurdly large number of polygons, but I prefer it because you don't have to do the UV stuff which is hard when you have an absurdly large number of polygons. :P
There should be no technical reason why it wouldn't work cos the texture masking is almost the same as the stencil option (which IS there) the only difference is that the chosen colour is multiplied with the brush colour making everything darker.

But I don't care any more. :lol:
I've moved past that bit now and need to go back to hairdressing to put something on his head.

18 Feb 2022 18:50 #39640 by Valence
Haircut or wig. :hmm:

Attachments:

18 Feb 2022 23:00 #39642 by Valence
And now my Mean Angry Space Fairy has gone grey and posed himself in the clouds. :woohoo:

Those hands are still lumpy though. :pout:
So difficult to get them to retain some kind of credible structure at the wrist.
Also his arms may be too short but you can change that easily by scaling the bones. :)
Attachments:

21 Feb 2022 13:03 #39651 by Banj

Those hands are still lumpy though. :pout:

All the better to smite thee with.

23 Feb 2022 20:29 - 23 Feb 2022 20:30 #39719 by Valence
I've just been playing with the cloth simulation to drape something over my god's shoulder in that Greek kind of way and my lovely fabric keeps sliding and falling off his body. It would be frustrating if it wasn't so funny to watch. :lol:

EDIT: I now think everyone should get dressed by throwing clothes at their body to just see what sticks. :giggle:

24 Feb 2022 22:07 #39739 by Valence
Spent a while trying to find that halo texture function in Blender but after resorting to internet searches it seems like it hasn't had that function for years since they ditched the internal renderer for Eevee. :dumb:
Apparently those Glare nodes are the next best option (and I was looking at those anyway the other week) but I'm not sure if that provides exactly the effect that I want. :hmm:

25 Feb 2022 10:59 #39742 by Banj
You could just add any glowiness afterwards 

25 Feb 2022 12:39 #39745 by Valence
Technically it is added afterwards because it's a compositor node. :confident:

But you're right, all the way through this one I've been thinking "I could just paint this on afterwards." But trying to do it all in Blender is a fun way to learn stuff.
Unless I have any new ideas I think it's pretty close to being done now with just the dilemma of how much of the glare gimmick I include. I did eventually get the drape to "stick" by adding more vertices and pre-shaping it a little instead of just dropping a flat plane on him.
But the whole pic does now seem a bit more illuminated than I'd planned. The lack of emissive lighting in Eevee meant I had to add lots of little lights to pick out the clouds and it obviously brightens the whole scene more than I want. It'd be nice if I could restrict the light to certain areas but physics doesn't work like that. :dumb:

25 Feb 2022 12:43 #39746 by Banj
Physics ruins everything