July challenge - Mech Fauna

Deadline for entry:

June challenge VOTE OPEN!

Gaming

30 May 2024 15:52 #50380 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Gaming
And hours later someone posted a way to use the Steam Creation Kit for the GOG Skyrim without Steam, on NexusMods. Mostly sounds like what I did but lists another file to be extracted so maybe I'll have a look at that in case I need it. First I should probably look up a tutorial or two... :dry:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

30 May 2024 17:03 - 30 May 2024 17:03 #50381 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Gaming

It would be nice if I even understood how to open a file in it... :dumb:

File>Data
Then double click on the master files you'll need to make the little X appear in the boxes (ie the main game, DLC, Patches etc.). Do the same for the mod you want to look at and make sure you click Set As Active when it's highlighted.

Or something like that. It's a while since I tried this with a mod.
And even then it went wrong if I remember correctly. :lol:

I did go ahead and install those hair mods into Dragon Age and they worked. :woohoo:
They looked pretty good too but... it does increase the load times and I'm not sure I have the patience for that.
Back to old hairstyles. :pirate:

30 May 2024 17:09 #50382 by Charlotte
Thanks. I also found a beginners guide that explained as much and what was in which window, although I'm still not entirely sure what I'm doing and definitely wouldn't dare change anything. I tried opening a mod and the files it depends upon but got a mission aborted type of message... Maybe because I didn't set one file as active... :shrug:

I want to learn to make mods but I also want to sleep 24/7. Not sure how to combine the two. :sleepy:

30 May 2024 17:12 #50383 by Valence
You always get lots of error messages when stuff loads in. Just ignore them. I think there's usually a button to "Ignore All" or something like that.
But be wary about saving as you don't want to overwrite the stuff that actually works. :argh:

30 May 2024 17:21 #50384 by Charlotte
yes there's a yes to all button about something but my issue is that it aborts the whole file opening. I will try to actually use the set to active whatsit next time, I'm guessing that's what I'm doing wrong as the kit doesn't know which of the selected files to show me.

30 May 2024 17:25 - 30 May 2024 17:28 #50385 by Valence
It should work fine without Set As Active. I think that function is more to do with when you come to save your changes so if you're just messing around and having a look then you'd probably be best leaving that for now.
But definitely don't worry about the error messages. Everybody gets them. :)

31 May 2024 17:37 - 31 May 2024 19:26 #50401 by Charlotte
Played the remaining survival game demo from Steam a while today (and yesterday). It's released as 1.0 but it seems rather buggy... Yesterday my character was so busy drinking and peeing she hardly managed anything else and then she froze to death, today my (new) character didn't need food or water (or peeing) at all, but got stuck at making one of the first tutorial items as it wouldn't register as made. I think that might be why her need for food and water never kicked in... :hmm: Anyway, then her "fire drill" kept breaking so she froze to death too and I gave up. This was all on the easiest setting... :dumb:

Then I tried opening a mod in CK again but whether I try to open all masters as well or none of them, or one of them, and whether or not the mod is set to active or not, I keep getting the same error message (something about multiple masters loading and load aborted) - perhaps it's just that one mod and I should try another one... :hmm: :shrug:

Edit: Tried opening another mod which has a "broken" merchant (he won't buy or sell anything...) and it worked just fine, but I couldn't see what separated the broken guy from the other added merchants in the same mod... (I've looked with SSEedit as well and no luck there either). And now I'm too sleepy to try anything else. Maybe too sleepy to even play something... :sleepy: 

31 May 2024 19:25 #50408 by Valence
Can you load in the main Skyrim Master without the DLC? :hmm:

You may need to find and tweak the CreationKit.ini file by adding/changing "bAllowMultipleMasterLoads=1" in the General section.

31 May 2024 19:27 #50409 by Charlotte
I can load the main Skyrim file yes, and I just edited the above post because nobody had posted anything after it :shakefist:

Thanks for the tip, I'll have a look at that ini file next time. :aha: If I remember. :dumb:

01 Jun 2024 18:10 - 01 Jun 2024 18:11 #50440 by Valence
Another warrior has joined the party. :stare:
And he uses two-handed weapons! :woohoo:
Finally I have a use for all those claymores and sledgehammers that I'm carrying. :)

I'm still not sure if I'm a high enough level for this area though. :paranoid:
But I may have a little look around before retreating to the Hinterlands again. :brb:

And I (er, we) also have... Jars Of Beeeees! :pirate:

Oh, and did I mention that I found a hat for Solas that boosts his health a bit? Well I did. And I worked out (too late, I know) how to give each character their own regeneration potions so that may help in those bigger fights too. :aha: