April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Gaming

30 Jul 2022 20:27 #41575 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Gaming
An eventful evening,

I'm still chasing perfect planets, better starships and better multi-tools with absolutely no luck whatsoever at any of it.

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 Aug 2022 19:09 #41599 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Gaming
It's the final of the High Stakes Gwent tournament, I won the first round and now in the second we've each got one card left and it's my turn.
I'm way behind on score but look.
LOOK! :woohoo:

I saved it just for this moment. He's fallen into my trap, the fool.
I'm gonna play it. :excited:

And his last card was Clear Skies. :rage:
:cry:

Attachments:

01 Aug 2022 19:34 #41600 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Gaming

*cough*

I mean, oh dear what bad luck.

01 Aug 2022 19:50 #41601 by Charlotte
:dry:

01 Aug 2022 20:01 - 01 Aug 2022 21:51 #41602 by Valence
Beat him! :rock:

Got a bit luck, I think, cos he didn't draw a good hand second time around and he played all his Muster cards early. I didn't have the Frost initially but got it after a spy switcheroo and neutralized his attack in the first round. :aha:

Also, looking at that screenshot again and counting up, I'm not sure I would have even won with that play. During the game I didn't see the score long enough before getting angry by that immediate Clear Skies. Depends if Dandelion can use the Commander's Horn twice. :hmm:
(EDIT: No, that row isn't doubling twice, I definitely would have won. If... :eyeroll:)
Anyway, I don't care now. Tournament won. Mystery solved.
I now just have to work out where my clothes are. :blush: :dunno:

01 Aug 2022 20:09 #41603 by Charlotte
Did you play strip poker before the Gwent game?

I popped into the book store today. They had the Witcher series and I considered getting the first book but.... I already saw it on TV, you know? Anyway, I'm pretty sure the minstrel was "Dandilion" in the book? Unless it was misspelled on the page I read. I checked a few pages here and there to see if I liked the writing or not. It seemed OK. So no books for me, but at least I ordered a bunch of yarn, now. :dumb:

01 Aug 2022 20:26 - 01 Aug 2022 20:28 #41604 by Valence
I've found my clothes! :cheer:
They were in my inventory but just didn't show up until I changed a few times. :shrug:

Yes, he's called Dandelion in the (English) books and games but the TV show uses the name from the original Polish version which properly translates as "Buttercup".
In Gwent Dandelion's card has the "Commander's Horn" power that doubles the score of cards on that row and I wasn't sure if that power can be doubled again with a normal "Commander's Horn" card.

I'm actually reading the last of the Witcher books right now (it's a standalone almost "prequel" novel that doesn't really connect with the rest in terms of plot) and I think I've said before that I do enjoy the books even though I don't really regard them as great literature.

02 Aug 2022 06:06 - 02 Aug 2022 06:29 #41605 by Charlotte
No no no I said "Dandilion" Not Dandelion :stare:
And he wasn't Dandelion in the TV series? :dumb: I can't recall, I just assumed he was, I guess. Though I do have a vague memory of reacting to him being called something else at one point, but just shrugging it off as a nickname or insult or something  :dumb: er

Edit:
Now I'm even confuseder

Edit2:
Googled some more and OK yes he's called Jaskier, I do recall that name... I guess I assumed Dandelion was the nickname? This is confusing. Even more so when I read on...
Dandelion's original Polish name, "Jaskier", literally means "Buttercup", but was changed in the English translation because "Buttercup" sounded too feminine in English. In the Czech translation of the books and the game, Dandelion's name is "Marigold" and Triss Merigold is called "Triss Ranuncul".

...and even worse, Jaskier isn't his real name either, it's Julian. 

:argh:

Edit again:
I looked up his Swedish name and it's Riddarsporre (Larkspur). In Swedish the name means Knight's Spur - I guess the translator thought he needed something better than "Worm Rose" (Maskros - Dandelion) or Butter Flower (Smörblomma - Buttercup). Not to mention Smörblomma might be seen as a reference to being "smörig" (I can't find a great translation, but slimy, ingratiating etc comes up).

Attachments:

02 Aug 2022 11:32 #41606 by Valence
I guess it's a bit like Harry Potter where Tom Riddle has to have a different name in each language in order to make the silly anagram work. :)

02 Aug 2022 11:50 #41607 by Charlotte
How does "Tom Riddle" become "Lord Voldemort" Anyway? It's not even the same number of letters. :stare:

(Yes, I have read the books and seen the movies but I've obviously forgotten how this part worked...)