May challenge - Alien excavation

Deadline for entry:

April challenge Voting open!

Gaming

01 Mar 2020 14:59 #28013 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Gaming
I had a quick go on Black Desert Online last night after I discovered that it was only free to keep IF you played it before March 2nd. :eyeroll:
I still don't like multiplayers but I didn't really get that far anyway as I wasted far too many minutes on the character creation tool which is great fun, unlike the awkward limited things you get in some other games. But it's still tough to create anything that doesn't look like those weird, big-eyed, long-legged anime figures. :dry:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 Mar 2020 15:20 #28014 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Gaming
You could always download the free version of Guild Wars 2 just to play with character creation :P I can spend hours.... They are long-legged but otherwise not very weird looking. Unless you count the Asura. Or the Charr. Or the Sylvari. :dry:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

02 Mar 2020 02:59 - 02 Mar 2020 03:08 #28026 by Valence
I hate MMOs! :eyeroll:

I eventually dragged myself away from the Black Desert character creation tool and into the actual game where I found a lovely fantasy world made somewhat less lovely by loads of random people manically running around like demented children. And yes, I do realise that, in their game, I was one of those demented runners too, but even so, can I please just find a quiet place where I can peacefully work out how the controls and interface work? Please??
Apparently I have to walk over there and talk to someone to do the tutorial quest thing. Which one am I supposed to talk to? It's hard to tell because there are thirty other people who are also trying to talk to him. :dry:

Single player games are like being in a movie or, at their best, like stepping in to a completely different world. MMOs are like being dragged to a fantasy theme park where you have to queue up as fifty other random tourists try to get on the same ride before you while even more people continue to run manically around.

Aaaargh!
Let me go back to Skyrim where I can go for a long quiet walk that's only disturbed by the occasional wisdom of M'aiq The Liar.

Anyway I eventually managed to talk to the person only to find that it wasn't the right person (it's hard to tell amidst the throng!) So I started another quest instead of starting the tutorial that explains what I'm supposed to be doing.
Can I still do the tutorial?
Where is the tutorial man? :dunno:
Is this him? "Do I want to @chat?" Hmm, I don't think I do. :S

Enough. *quits*
I may try again another time. And I may not.
The graphics were lovely though. :)

02 Mar 2020 10:04 #28027 by Charlotte
:lol:
I'm pretty sure the throngs thin as the game gets older. But I do hate it when people press space bar while running (making them continuously jump).

(Hey, if you ever do try GW2, I could join - as a less manic runner I hope - to help you find your feet :P)

02 Mar 2020 12:32 #28032 by Valence
That's also the reason I gave up on Destiny 2. At least the opening tutorial was a "private" level in that one, but as soon as I got outside again I found lots of other "runners" and several people bouncing around like fidgeting fleas!
It kinda destroys the mood for me and it doesn't really help the story. It's hard to believe that it's important for me to deliver this character's message when I've seen him give this exact message to all those other people that were queuing in front of me. :dry:

I feel much more comfortable in Assassin's Creed where I've now joined in with the Fight Club, but I guess I'm not supposed to talk about it. :)
And I have improved the glitchy sound problem by reducing the bit rate of the streaming down to 20Mb/s. I guess the standard 34 was too close to the limit of my internet speed.

02 Mar 2020 15:02 #28042 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Gaming
Character creation is the best part of MMOs, it's all downhill after that. I played one for a fairly long time because you were able to do a lot of stuff solo, unfortunately they pretty much destroyed everything I liked about it so I stopped playing.

02 Mar 2020 15:07 #28044 by Charlotte
I know I nag about GW but there IS a lot you can do solo*. And when champion bosses show up yes you're with a crowd of others but you don't have to team up or chat or anything. I hardly ever play anymore, though... I guess I also prefer the character creation :dry: And, ironically, I think I'd like to have someone to play with at least sometimes... :(

My oldest character managed to get to lvl 80 all by herself, for instance. But then she failed at the sort of end of story quests.... dang spidey lord...

02 Mar 2020 20:46 #28066 by Charlotte
finally got around to re-downloading the updated subnautica mods (and one or two new ones). Seem to work fine, except the food mod hasn't been updated. *snif*

02 Mar 2020 21:09 #28068 by Valence
Don't starve! :ohmy:

Tried to fight the Stone Golem today. :dead:
Think I'll have to use some "clever" tactics instead of just swinging a sword. I think I know what I have to do next time. :hmm:
No spoilers!

02 Mar 2020 21:11 - 02 Mar 2020 21:35 #28069 by Charlotte
I'm not saying anything :P

Edit: :hmm: My seamoth turned blue when I added the mods....