April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

The Trailer Park

08 Jan 2018 12:58 #19780 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic The Trailer Park
Well, I liked Logan. :P
And didn't fall asleep!

The swearing did seem a little unnecessary (seemed like it was put in to get teenagers excited) but other than that I enjoyed it, especially the way it tried to be a serious film about getting old and losing your place in the world instead of the usual banter-filled joke-fest where more aliens want some magic stones for some reason.
I wish there were more superhero films like that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Jan 2018 13:14 - 08 Jan 2018 13:15 #19782 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic The Trailer Park

since when did Charles drop the F bomb?

Since X-Men: Days of Future Past.

08 Jan 2018 13:39 #19783 by kazky
Replied by kazky on topic The Trailer Park
Huh? was he himself then or his younger self?

08 Jan 2018 13:44 #19785 by Banj
When Wolverine travels back in time and first visits him, he gives him the same response that Wolverine gave to him and Magneto in his cameo appearance in First Class.

08 Jan 2018 14:00 #19786 by kazky
Replied by kazky on topic The Trailer Park
ah I have a vague memory of that scene, i did like that movie

08 Jan 2018 14:34 #19788 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic The Trailer Park
*has no memory of that scene at all*

Speaking of movies we've seen, I think I'll be re-watching The King's Speech today. I remember enjoying it even if most other things are a bit fuzzy.

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

09 Jan 2018 13:35 #19804 by octoberstormxx
Replied by octoberstormxx on topic The Trailer Park
I loved "The King's Speech," enough to actually buy it! :-O And considering Vudu and Amazon Prime, I almost never buy the discs anymore! :-P

10 Jan 2018 19:54 #19813 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic The Trailer Park
Thanks to commercial break's it went on for far later than I managed to stay up for, but it was still enjoyable :)

Tonight I just watched the first episode of the latest season of X-files. Talk about convoluted plots... But I guess it was OK even if I didn't quite like the "voice" of Mulder's thoughts. The expressions just didn't feel like his words (but then again I haven't followed X-files slavishly and can't really say what would be his words...)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

11 Jan 2018 13:07 #19816 by Banj

Tonight I just watched the first episode of the latest season of X-files. Talk about convoluted plots...

I've always thought that the X-Files was at it's finest when it focused on individual monster of the week investigations, and at it's most tedious an uninteresting when doing it's endless make it up as we go along alien/not-alien/or-is-it? conspiracy arc. The conspiracy plot stuff became increasingly ridiculous and nonsensical.

11 Jan 2018 15:02 - 11 Jan 2018 15:04 #19818 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic The Trailer Park
I was a massive X-Files fan in the 90s but it's a show that really hasn't aged well (and the latest batch haven't been shown here yet but I'll still have a look at them when they are.)

One of the problems is that TV drama has moved on. Those old monster shows are well remembered but watching the repeats recently showed how horribly formulaic they are. The classic episodes still hold up quite well but the rest are tough to watch these days.

I didn't mind the earlier conspiracy episodes, they were a perfect example of JJ Abrams Mystery Box idea. Now, I know you don't like JJ so I'm not inviting a rant :lol: but I do personally like the way he sets up stories even if it does result in a clunky third act and X-Files conspiracies had the same problem too. The mystery and intrigue was fantastic when you didn't know what was happening, the resulting answers were inevitably silly and disappointing.
Also it's hard to transfer that mood to a more modern setting. Back then conspiracy theorists were eccentric and funny and easy to empathise with in an underdog way whereas these days they seem to be bitter and angry; their theories used to be based on gaps in our knowledge but now, with so much information at our disposal, conspiracies seem to be predicated on wanton ignorance. So the person who would have been a protagonist in the 90s is now more likely to be perceived as the bad guy and it makes the drama feel a little awkward.
For me, it peaked around seasons 4 and 5 with the rather bleaker storylines and the idea of all the UFO theories being a military hoax. Pity they backtracked from that in later stories. Consistency was never a strong point. :lol:

But like I said, I'll still tune in when the new ones are shown, if only to moan at it. :)