May challenge - Alien excavation

Deadline for entry:

April challenge Voting open!

The Trailer Park

03 May 2017 14:38 #16039 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic The Trailer Park
I don"t know anything at all about these stories so I don't know if this looks good or bad.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 May 2017 14:44 #16040 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic The Trailer Park
Looks interesting enough to me. I think I read the book in my teens but can't really remember any of it... or books?

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

03 May 2017 14:55 #16041 by kazky
Replied by kazky on topic The Trailer Park
I adore Stephen King but I've completely ignored the Dark Tower series as they didn't appeal to me. Apparently they are very good though.

07 May 2017 16:15 - 07 May 2017 16:15 #16148 by Charlotte
Checked the TV guide for tonight. There's a movie called Lucy on at 9 pm that sounded like it could be fun... I watched the trailer and felt like I got pretty much a summary of the whole thing. Plus that whole "humans only use 10% of their brain" b-s always puts me off. Guess I'll stick with Rizzoli and Isles.

(Lucy from 2014)

07 May 2017 17:06 - 07 May 2017 17:07 #16149 by em...
Replied by em... on topic The Trailer Park
I was very dissapointed in Lucy. It got decent reviews, and starts off okay, but I thought it just descended into gibberish very quickly. More action, and less particle effects, would have improved it.

I'd much rather watch Colombiana.

07 May 2017 17:15 #16150 by Charlotte
Well, Colombiana isn't on TV tonight :P But if it's ever on, I'll try to remember the recommendation...

07 May 2017 18:25 - 07 May 2017 18:27 #16152 by em...
Replied by em... on topic The Trailer Park
I mentioned Colombiana in relation to Lucy because they're both female-led action movies written by Luc Besson and starring Marvel Universe actors (Zoe Saldana and Scarlett Johansson, respectively). He directed the latter, but not the former - the director of Colombiana was the brilliantly named Olivier Megaton, who also directed the second and third Taken movies (also written by Besson).

Thematically, Colombiana is closer to Leon (yet another Besson movie), if Natalie Portman's character in that had grown up to also become an assassin. It's not a great movie, but it's a less silly movie than Lucy.

08 May 2017 22:38 #16184 by Valence
The odd thing about Lucy is that I'm sure I've seen TV documentaries where real Morgan Freeman debunks that crazy brain theory expressed by fictional Morgan Freeman.

Anyway...

or if you prefer...

14 May 2017 19:33 - 14 May 2017 19:45 #16251 by Charlotte
Just come back from King Arthur. Visually I really liked it - except a few scenes where I got motion sick :P I hope the following will contain no actual spoilers.

Music wise it was kind of over much. Look at this quaint town, and listen to the epic bombastic soundscore that implies you're really viewing something entirely different.

Dialogue... Well... Much too much talking, given the circumstances they were usually in. But that happens in a lot of TV series and movies, I guess...

After 90 minutes I really needed a bathroom break so I'm not sure how focused I was at the end, and well... I dunno. I guess I'd give it a 2 out of 5 rather than 1 out of 5. Not great, but not a total distaster. I think it tried to be a few more things than it was. (And it certainly tried to cram in a bit too much info at the beginning...)

Oh and it had some major timeline issues. Intended, mind you, but a little annoying (in my opinion - I guess others might consider it a "neat trick" or some such), giving you parts of the story in short fragments.

15 May 2017 19:52 - 15 May 2017 19:54 #16254 by Valence
Yes, yes. But what was David Beckham like? That's clearly all that matters. :lol:

I watched the recent Independence Day sequel the other day and was greatly unimpressed. I didn't like the first one much but this one was far worse even though it had no Will Smith (which would normally be a bonus for me.)