April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

The Trailer Park

16 Apr 2017 21:18 #15810 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic The Trailer Park
It's great when Bryan Cranston is on screen, not so great when you have to tolerate the other bland, forgettable actors.
But at least the monster has sturdy legs! :lol:

I think I prefer Cloverfield to the official Godzilla movies. After sitting through that tedious party at the start, there was something glorious about watching all those obnoxious people being sequentially killed. Plus the handheld camera effects were amazing for such a modest budget.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Apr 2017 07:38 #15811 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic The Trailer Park
I can't recall that the name was cloverfield but I think I've seen it. Starts with a party and the "cameraman" has a crush on someone... and God I was annoyed with them all. All that shouting and then doing the opposite... I don't think I even watched it until the end... And I HATED the hand held camera lol filming like that just makes me annoyed and a bit woozy. (And it's not very interesting to watch the floor tiles while people run...)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

17 Apr 2017 14:29 #15812 by em...
Replied by em... on topic The Trailer Park
I like Cloverfield up until the point where they get evacuated in the helicopter.

After the 'copter crashes, the decision to have a big clear shot of the monster focusing its attention on the central group ruins the central premise of them being people caught on the periphery of an event; and having the male lead pick up the camcorder from his dead friend and continue filming is idiotic and nonsensical.

I feel similar about another "found footage" movie - Chronicle. It starts off good, but very quickly compromises its own premise by introducing other footage and having one of the protagonists develop the ability to levitate objects (including camcorders) - allowing them to cheat on the camera angles.

I hate when movies set up specific rules for themselves and then break them.

17 Apr 2017 23:17 #15816 by Atto
Replied by Atto on topic The Trailer Park
I dunno Em... I quite like it when movies break their own rules though I agree the example given was a very poor example of it.
As far as the whole 'hand held camera' thing goes I think it was utilised best in the original Evil Dead movie. I saw some very poor imitations after that and I don't think any of them were particularly successful until Blair Witch. All the hype surrounding the movie infuriated me toward the end but there were some excellent press releases and a very interesting book that came out at the time of it's release that really pushed the boundaries in regard to merchandising for a movie that I had never encountered before.

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

18 Apr 2017 08:31 #15824 by kazky
Replied by kazky on topic The Trailer Park
I love Cloverfield, it just really appeals to me, I do enjoy the camcorder footage style. I also loved Chronicle. I'm easily pleased :D

I watched Fantastic Beasts recently and really enjoyed it, I'm not a Harry Potter fan but you don't need to be.

18 Apr 2017 11:54 #15832 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic The Trailer Park

"It's time for the Jedi to end."

Wishful thinking, sadly Disney are going to carry on making them.

18 Apr 2017 13:07 #15846 by Valence
Yep, every year for the rest of your life.
The rest ... of your life!
So, laugh it up, fuzzball. :lol:

I'm still OK with it, but I think my tolerance will fail if they ever do that standalone Boba Fett movie. Then I'm out.

18 Apr 2017 13:12 #15847 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic The Trailer Park

Yep, every year for the rest of your life.
The rest ... of your life!
So, laugh it up, fuzzball. :lol:

There have already been poorly made amateur Star Wars fan films on Youtube for many years, so Disney putting them in the cinema every year wont make much difference to me. :whistle:

18 Apr 2017 13:19 #15851 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic The Trailer Park
And you've been watching all those poorly made fan films every opportunity you get, haven't you? *only remembers a star wars themed version of "somebody that I used to know"*

Is fuzzball a reference to a movie or to a certain hamster?

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

18 Apr 2017 16:30 #15864 by Valence

Is fuzzball a reference to a movie or to a certain hamster?

Both.

The only Star Wars fan films I know of are those Uncut movies made of 15 second clips. They manage to be funny yet unwatchable at the same time. I have seen those Bad Lip Reading videos of Yoda singing about seagulls though. :lol:

But no fan film can ever match the horror of the Holiday Special. It's like eye cancer. :blink:
Attachments: