April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

The Trailer Park

30 Dec 2016 21:49 #14990 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic The Trailer Park
Yeah, I think the issue is that with Peter Cushing long gone they had to map another actor's performance onto his different face and given that everyone moves their face slightly differently it introduced too much of the animator's interpretation. If he'd still been alive then they could just capture all his little micro movements and details on one of those "light stages".
From what little I've seen it still looks like a great effect and I think it was worth trying, especially with Tarkin, but the lighting on the Leia scene was very unforgiving.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Mar 2017 13:26 #15464 by kazky
Replied by kazky on topic The Trailer Park
So over the last week or so i saw Passengers, and Arrival

anyone else watched these two yet?

08 Mar 2017 13:34 #15467 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic The Trailer Park
I haven't - I've been kind of out of the movie loop while the local cinema has been renovating... They still say they'll open again in "February/March"... Wish they had a day it'd all be finished... Arrival sounds interesting though. The other one... hmm... two people alone in space for like 90 years? I guess lots can happen. It could also be extremely boring :P

Anyway I hope I'll be able to go the movies again soon. I've misssssed it.

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

08 Mar 2017 14:51 #15475 by Valence
I very much want to see Arrival. I'd be counting the days until it's on TV ... if I knew when it was eventually going to be on TV. :lol: It sort of reminds me a bit of Contact, which is one of my favourite movies even though no one else seems to like it.
I have read the 30ish page short story on which Arrival is based and I'm very intrigued as to how they'll fill it out to movie length.
Actually when I was in a bookshop the other day I was a bit confused to see that the author has now written a full novel based on the film that was based on his own short story. I was tempted to read it but I'll wait... for now. :)

08 Mar 2017 15:02 #15478 by Charlotte
I think I rather liked Contact... but it's been so long since I saw it I can't quite remember...

08 Mar 2017 15:40 #15479 by kazky
Replied by kazky on topic The Trailer Park
i loved Contact and Arrival is kind of like that, but also not. I enjoyed it, I think its something you need to watch twice to be honest because afterwards someone commented about it and I had to go and google it!

So when you do watch it WATCH it!

Passengers was very enjoyable, but not what i expected

15 Mar 2017 21:33 #15547 by Valence
Slightly less intellectual than Arrival, I know, but I watched Warcraft the other day and found it somewhat confusing. I think they could have explained the world and its inhabitants a little better for n00bs like me.

But there was was some nice facial animation in there with some lovely subtle expressions in the eyes, which was surprising considering that they were strange, big-handed, tusked monsters. :)

15 Mar 2017 22:15 #15549 by Charlotte
Yeah I think the Warcraft movie works best for people who've played the game already. I did like the mix of human actors and orcs though. It seemed well done, to me :)

Speaking of movies I watched Robinson Crusoe (the animated version) yesterday. Enjoyable animals, not so much story - pretty much just one long accident :P. And why is it always the cats who are the bad guys? Poor pussycats. Oops apparently it was called the Wild Life in English. And I'm still wondering who the hell Friday was? (Since the parrot was named Tuesday but there was a Friday in the cast list... voice by Jay Jones...)

02 Apr 2017 10:39 #15673 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic The Trailer Park
Oo!

Oo oo!

Argh!

02 Apr 2017 13:24 #15677 by Valence
Slightly disappointed that they didn't take inspiration from our Pennywise challenge. They should have hired us all as consultants. :)

This one looks lovely yet weird...

I'd never heard of the Valerian stories but after a bit of research it seems like George Lucas stole lots of ideas from them to make Star Wars.