May challenge - Alien excavation

Deadline for entry:

April challenge Voting open!

CGAN August 2014 Challenge - Ode to Banj - WIPs

26 Aug 2014 20:04 - 26 Aug 2014 20:08 #5629 by oaktree
I have to thank you kind folks for drawing my attention to the fact that what I’m seeing is not what you are seeing. Your comments like “your characters are emerging from the shadows “, and the comment about rim lighting around the central character, and you should also adding more lighting to the background characters.
These comments made me think this is not what I'm seeing working on my laptop. So getting out the I-pad and having a look I think what you are seeing is much darker than what was intended.
It seems that the problem is the way I have the angle set on the laptop screen when I view it. When I place the screen direct on for viewing then it all looks correct to me but to get it to look like what I am seeing on the pad then I need to move the top of the screen away from me and that darkens everything up. So for the time being I will try with the screen tipped but will probably try a stand alone monitor soon.
Thanks again for the comments you have to catch the deeper meaning.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Aug 2014 04:58 #5632 by microscopi
Here's an update on mine, working on the mage.

Attachments:

27 Aug 2014 11:32 #5636 by Digital Dave
Liking the 'hamster hawk hair'. :) ... I just started working on the cat last night, but was wiped out after a long day, so didn't get much done, and it wasn't enough to post on.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

27 Aug 2014 15:45 #5641 by microscopi
Thanks Dave, it was intended as a helmet plume but hey your idea sounds a lot better :woohoo:

27 Aug 2014 18:33 - 27 Aug 2014 18:34 #5644 by AngieA
I do view the forum on my iPad Oaktree. It never occurred to me that I might be seeing your work differently than you intended us to see it. I hope to see it as you intend it to be seen now but I do still like the shadowy mystery that I see in your piece as it appears at the moment. The way the side characters seem to merge into the darkness gives nice focus to your main character.

27 Aug 2014 19:56 #5645 by microscopi
Oak I had the colors all wrong on my 2nd monitor and just didn't notice till recently, sometimes its the hardware. If you have an old monitor lying around you could hook that up to your laptop.

28 Aug 2014 02:14 - 28 Aug 2014 02:20 #5652 by Digital Dave
I had to make some time tonight to start working on King Cat finally. He actually thickened up some, mostly in the face (unintentional though) but think it might make him look more male-like, now that we know he not a miss. :) Also decided to try to work his chair some too. Never wanted it fancy, but thought it needed something, so added some woodwork. (maybe something Banj nibbled out for him for decoration to show his appreciation :) )

But I still need something on that darn shield, and I honestly haven't figured that out just yet. ... But been trying to follow the brief as much as possible, but someone didn't mention a shield in her story! :P :wink:

Attachments:

28 Aug 2014 07:27 #5659 by Charlotte
Just a thought but being a knight of the round wheel, making something wheel like in the center of the shield would work? Or perhaps you already considered that :P

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

28 Aug 2014 11:12 #5660 by Digital Dave
Haha... nope, hadn't thought of that. But will definitely try to think of something along those lines though. :)

29 Aug 2014 13:41 #5679 by AngieA
I submitted my entry into the final stage but I'm not sure why my wip links do not go straight to my posts but seem to point to other posts around them. I did right clicks on the post numbers and chose 'copy link address', that is right isn't it? Anyway I hope it's good enough for the challenge.