April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN August 2014 Challenge - Ode to Banj - WIPs

12 Aug 2014 11:38 #5119 by SchizophreniaWolf
Domtopia: Waw many thx! Your comment motivates me alot.

Here my second wip:
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 Aug 2014 21:02 #5138 by oaktree
update from me not sure its in the right direction
Attachments:

12 Aug 2014 21:34 #5139 by Domtopia
I think it looks good Oak. The only thing that I can think to comment on right now is that I can't yet tell what the focus is. But I think that will become more clear as it progresses

Colour choices and composition are fine. I think the contrasts could do with being tweaked, just so the colours and characters don't all run in together. Otherwise, I think this is looking really good!

Keep it coming!

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!

12 Aug 2014 23:07 - 12 Aug 2014 23:17 #5141 by microscopi
Here's an update on mine, thanks for the thoughts Dom :cheer: , I will try to keep some of the brush texture.

Wolf and Oak, great updates, progressing real nicely, Oak I think your main focus should be the character in the center in the cloak.

Attachments:

13 Aug 2014 01:29 - 13 Aug 2014 01:33 #5142 by Kodabble
mute827: If you want to make the ball more intimidating you could add spikes.

microscopi: Color on poster look Is coming along nicely. I did like the tighter cropped earlier WIPs.

Oaktree: Like the atmospheric mood piece of this has an good story feel to it. Are you planning on keeping the big wheel from the earlier wip?

Schizophrenia: Whoa… creepy piece; really nicely done, but creepy. Love the expression on the cat.

Now addition of the other characters:

Attachments:

13 Aug 2014 08:46 #5150 by SchizophreniaWolf
Kodabble: Yes I know its a bit creepy, I'm obsessed by dark, creepy settings :silly: my fiancé doesn't like that lol, but thx for your comment!
I love the face expression of your webmaster/wizard, he looks realy realy focussed: "You no fool me, I am the Webmastah!!!"

15 Aug 2014 04:05 - 15 Aug 2014 04:06 #5233 by Digital Dave
Well, been tied up with some other stuff, so haven't been able to do as much as I would have liked. But I did get a little bit more done. Mostly worked in the character's eyes, and clothing some.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D
Attachments:

16 Aug 2014 08:24 - 16 Aug 2014 08:28 #5260 by microscopi
Thanks Kod, I have changed it back a little and enlarged the chars, i'm working on a armor set for the hamster, almost done. Yours is looking pretty great, the hamster and bird are my fav!

Dave, looks like your pretty much done, looking awesome! Like the humor you put into your stuff a lot. The wall keeps grabbing my attention though, seems to take up a fair amount of the background as one shade, seems too clean.

16 Aug 2014 12:41 #5263 by oaktree
My apologies to everyone for not keeping up and replying to comments I have not been well for a few days an have done nothing just starting to get back into the swing of things.

Domtopia Thanks for the comments I had thought that the focus was good but of cause I know where it should be. Looking at the painting after a few days your comments are spot on changes will be made.

Microscopi Yours is looking great really like the textures and the mix of poses for the characters.
As for your comments on my effort you are correct the focus should be the clocked figure in the light area middle. I will be making changes to try to make it more evident.

Kodabble Another great piece from you. Love the expression on the character with the match and Sir Knight BJ lance made me smile.
As for the wheel in my piece my thoughts where it seemed detrimental to what should have been the focal point and so I remove it and made the area lighter but in doing so I also made the background area sharper and it seems I have lost the focal point I will try and fix it the wheel could be back.

Digital Dave Looking good but not sure about the tunnel area.

Mr Wolf Love the cats pose and expression.

18 Aug 2014 00:15 - 18 Aug 2014 00:30 #5307 by Digital Dave
Well, this sucks. I've been running around the past couple weekends doing some work on my mom's house, then getting home and doing work on mine. Well this morning, being a little wiped out, I spent about 90 minutes putting in some of the elements I hadn't had time to do yet. But when I started working on the kitchen window again, I forgot to save it. :ohmy: When I came back to the computer hours later, it simply said PS close unexpectedly, and yep, everything was lost.

So I just spent the last hour or so, throwing it back in, though not as far as I got this morning. ... Thanks Oaktree & Micro. And yeah, I wasn't sure how well the tunnel would work in myself, but it is a piece of the puzzle that I wanted to incorporate so to speak. So, hope it looks better now? It was one of the reasons for the right-shift offset to begin with, and without it I can't seem to make it look right anyway. Also still working things out really, and I haven't done anything with the cat yet.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D
Attachments: