May challenge - Alien excavation

Deadline for entry:

April challenge Voting open!

Adventures across the 3rd dimension

14 Oct 2021 19:23 #37269 by Charlotte
:argh:
what was it I did when I lost the little orientation widget? Or rather, how did I get it back??? I must have missclicked something and now I don't have the widget AND I can't move etc anything. I don't get arrows and such, either, when I select a mesh and a tool.... :dumb:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 Oct 2021 19:27 #37270 by Charlotte
Phew, found it. Again.

14 Oct 2021 19:52 - 14 Oct 2021 19:53 #37272 by Charlotte
Didn't do any texture-mapping yet, kind of hoping it won't even be necessary for it to look OK in game. 

But the chair is pretty much complete. 

EDIT: And yes the legs are disproportionally short... the seats in game are all about 30 cm high which is lower than normal chairs. The little foundies have rather short legs after all. 

Attachments:

14 Oct 2021 20:35 #37273 by Valence
Very nice work. :thumbup:

I really enjoyed using those "Holding edge" tips today and I even managed to make my low-poly axe head look ...erm... OK!?
Unfortunately I then got carried away and ruined it by trying to do some Boolean nonsense. :facepalm:
I made the 3D cuts I wanted but it destroyed the smooth shading again and there were no more edge loops left in that area to help me fix it.
But I've still got it saved so I haven't really ruined it. :)
Before that my attempts at bump-mapping all those details that I'd sculpted in the other version didn't work too well so I'm still not sure the axe idea will prevail and that easier-to-model sword is still beckoning me.
But I HAVE learned some things today. :aha:

14 Oct 2021 22:42 #37280 by Valence
Just before I turn my PC off for the day I thought I'd just try out another pose with my Orc and his "outfit" and the soft bad axe I made as well. I haven't tried putting it all together with the armature yet. So here goes... :pirate:

Oh, dear. :facepalm:
Seems like he's bursting out of his bondage gear like a transforming Hulk! :lol:

Maybe I need to join all the meshes...
And no. That doesn't help either. I guess this is what happens when you use automatic weights. :S

I think he might end up being nude again before the end of the month. :dry:
Attachments:

17 Oct 2021 20:01 #37309 by Charlotte
I officially hate Blender again.

I'm not angry at them for having to scale that chair I did when I realised it was much smaller than a previous chair I'd done (which was supposed to be a small and simple/cheap chair) and then had to cut off the legs to make the seat low enough, meaning the legs look even more disproportionate now. Nope, that's the fault of the game design.

And I'm not particularly upset about the settle I did yesterday even though it took me all bloody day.

I'm also not blaming Blender for me procrastinating until after nightfall, before even starting on today's project.

What upsets me though, is that when I use a modifier - same shape and procedure as I have used on several items already - it suddenly only wants to remove HALF OF THE SHAPE. :stare: What the heck is wrong with the other half???

17 Oct 2021 20:25 #37310 by Charlotte
INVERTED NORMALS 

How did I get two faces with inverted normals on a f-ing CUBE? 
(Yes the cube is edited, but still.... why two random faces? :cry:)

17 Oct 2021 20:58 #37313 by Valence
I've yet to have an inverted normals problem despite trying to join all kinds of odd meshes together. :P
But I do know where the flip normal thing is in the menu for when I do need it.
I think. :dumb:

Been messing about trying to get those eyebrows to work today. I found out how to delete the offending particles/hairs but doing that doesn't delete all the children so it still looks stoopid.
I then tried creating a second instance of particles just for the eyebrows but couldn't assign them to the emitter so I guess he's not gonna have eyebrows. :shrug:

And so that they don't get in the way of the camera... I've just moved them inside his head. :lol:

17 Oct 2021 21:29 #37315 by Charlotte
Those eyebrows are truly the stuff of nightmares...

17 Oct 2021 21:34 #37317 by Valence
It's all in your head... :confident:

...just like they're inside HIS head. :P