April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

General Scribbles

04 Sep 2020 19:45 #30908 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic General Scribbles
Not a Reddit pic ( and not really a scribble either) but while I was painting that previous acrylic picture I was also trying to do an acrylic copy of an old Velazquez painting at the same time, so I thought I'd post that too now that I've finally glazed it. :)

I don't think I've got what it takes to be a forger but it was fun painting the crackle to try and make it look old. :lol:
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

04 Sep 2020 19:56 - 04 Sep 2020 19:56 #30911 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic General Scribbles
You did good :)

Meanwhile I've had to read up on the Mona Lisa to explain to a friend why it's considered such a master piece when it's so "freakin' plain and colorless". (In her defence she does prefer saturated colours, preferably including purples - if those criteria are met she likes the picture regardless of artistic skill... unless it's gory or depicting some sort of evil, of course... :dry:)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Valence

04 Sep 2020 20:07 - 04 Sep 2020 20:09 #30913 by Valence
If I was explaining it to her then I'd say the reason the Mona Lisa is "good" is because of the subtlety of the face. It's almost like he's painted an expression that's changing, as if she's just turned to look round and she's either starting to smile, or maybe the smile is fading into something else. It makes the painting extend over a moment of time and introduces a psychological aspect to the subject that connects with the viewer and keeps you looking and thinking about it. :)

04 Sep 2020 20:11 #30914 by Charlotte
I'm not sure that would sway her, but I posted a digital "restoration" and also a restored version by da Vinci's pupil in which the colours had been better preserved, and she grudgingly admitted that she might have liked it better in it's original state if that was really what it had looked like.

04 Sep 2020 23:06 #30921 by Digital Dave
Replied by Digital Dave on topic General Scribbles
Well, it certainly looks paintery. I've always thought about trying it myself, and think the Wife is starting to push that again on me too. She actually just purchased me some paints to play with a couple months back and I actually got a pack of 5 art-boards (thin stretched canvas actually) But I was thinking of doing some detailed sketching on. But either will still have to wait until I get some more stuff done around here. I have quite a bit I'm hoping to accomplish here soon, and hunting season is already here too. And the Wife can't wait for me to get out to Hunt. Except I don't like the hot weather, and today's heat index was still around 100, so yeah, it won't be that soon. :)

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D
The following user(s) said Thank You: Valence

05 Sep 2020 09:08 #30923 by Charlotte
she want the meat or just to get rid of you for a bit? :P

06 Sep 2020 09:01 #30940 by Charlotte
So, the other day Captain Picard attended art class.... I felt inspired to try the same subject/model...

Star Trek screenie

My scribble, trying to be a bit more daring with the shading, like Atto, but I'm not sure I succeeded too well. It's pretty blended anyway...

(Note that I took a screenie from Star Trek to use for reference and did not use the above screenie which I took from google...)

Attachments:

06 Sep 2020 11:25 - 06 Sep 2020 11:43 #30941 by Valence
Riker didn't kill that guy. :stare:

Apparently I don''t have "permission" to view the screenie you linked to but it doesn't matter cos I remember that episode. :P

The anatomy and pose are accurately done and the way you've used warm and cool tones in the skin is excellent. That warm radiance really gives life to the figure and the transition to the cool colours accross the back adds to the form and dimension to make it pop off the canvas.

Even Mr Data would approve. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Charlotte

06 Sep 2020 11:45 #30942 by Charlotte
lol he was a very.... knowledgeable... critic :P

06 Sep 2020 12:21 #30943 by Atto
Replied by Atto on topic General Scribbles
That’s excellent work Charlotte as Val says the warm and cool tones are really well handled and the form of her back comes across beautifully.
I’m really flattered that you’d choose to try and paint something toward my style.
But why? ;)

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.