April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Gaming

12 Feb 2021 15:55 #33615 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Gaming
To get back on topic, I installed the megamod 8 for Banished yesterday. I did before, and removed it because there's so many things to build it just gets confusing. And some things are in several places (e.g. under housing and under themed sets) while others are only in one place (including housing not under housing). I'm wondering if I can figure out which parts I like and just get those mods... I'm not sure why they have included so many moda that basically do the same but with different icons in the menu bar... :dry:

Yesterday when I tried to play my entire population froze to death while I was trying to decide on the best houses to build for them. (Yes you can pause the game, but I didn't realise it took so long or that they'd die while the temp was still above 0). Today I've tried to play a couple of times but I'm still mostly trying to figure out what buildings are the best options. "I need iron, so I need to build a forge but for that I need lumber so I have to build a lumber mill and for that I need.... iron?"

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 Feb 2021 20:02 #33616 by Charlotte
Today I wanted to build a blacksmith. Apparently I chose an option that required a "packed building kit". So I built the building kit packing business. To make the building kit, it needed bricks and a joist (whatever the hell that is). So I had to build a kiln for brick making. Which, I belatedly realised, needed clay. So I built a clay pit. Still needed that joist, went through the help texts on all the iron working thingies. Finally found a forge that make joists. Annoyingly I already had another forge but I built the second one too. Only to realise the first one could also be set to make joists. *sigh* No, the blacksmith isn't built yet. But I built a smaller structure which also provides tools, which very much less of a hassle... :dry:

12 Feb 2021 20:31 #33617 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Gaming
You don't seem to be having much joy with joists. :lol:

I too have heard a lot about Valheim without actually knowing what it is but all your chatting did provoke me to look it up. Was slightly disappointed to see that it's a survival game rather than an RPG. But it's amazing that it's only 1GB! :ohmy:
£15 is a bit more that I'd want to hand over for it though. :dry:

There's plenty of talk about Niflheim, Helheim and Asgard in Hellblade too, which I have now bought (for the lesser price of about six quid) and installed. Steam was still a bit slow with everyone buying stuff but I got it done in the end.

"The hardest battles are fought in the mind!"

But the screenshots don't show how good the sound is. :)
When I'm struggling to find that damn rune the last thing I need is a million voices telling me I should give up. :cry:
Attachments:

12 Feb 2021 20:49 #33619 by Charlotte
I seem to like survival games. Some of them anyway. :hmm: Didn't I get one in the weeks before christmas giveaways? Did I try it yet? :dumb: :dry:

12 Feb 2021 21:03 #33620 by Valence
I like the exploring part of survival games. It's just the constant death, excessive crafting and the annoying way that they save that bugs me.
Still haven't got back to playing Ark yet. I was wanting to have a go at one of the other maps (probably Valguero) in the new year, but the year isn't new any more and I haven't got around to it. :P

And yes, you did get one from the Xmas freebies and yes, you did try it. :stare:
I forget what it was called now. :dumb:

12 Feb 2021 21:07 - 12 Feb 2021 21:07 #33621 by Valence
It was called Stranded Deep. :)
There was also The Long Dark too which I haven't tried out.

12 Feb 2021 21:57 - 12 Feb 2021 22:09 #33622 by Charlotte
Yes I recognise the name Stranded Deep. I cannot remember anything about it. :dumb:
and I have now written a list in Excel of all the mods included in the Banished Megamod (they were listed in a pdf file but when I tried copy/paste that didn't work and when I tried the export to excel which they so kindly offered it turned out I needed an account and to pay - of course). So... I've spent the evening writing something down that already existed in written digital form, only to find that Nexus Mods is now down. (I wanted to compare which mods were available there and what they actually were as most names aren't very revealing... - they are available elsewhere as well, but in ways that make it less easy to get an overview)

yay.

Edit: and to make that joist thingy I apparently need coal too. Which I don't have yet, either. Dang these convoluted production chains. That's one problem with mods - modders don't always seem to have the same thought to game progress and balance as the original creators of the game... Although I suppose there might be instances where the opposite is true. However you do need a toolsmith early on in this game so making it so hard to get, is.... stoopid. :stare:

12 Feb 2021 22:20 #33625 by Valence

Yes I recognise the name Stranded Deep. I cannot remember anything about it. :dumb:

I'm reminded of that bit in Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade when Indy asks his dad about the contents of the Grail diary and he says, "I wrote it down sho I wouldn't HAVE to remember."

Isn't there a mod manager with that other game to help you keep track of what's installed?

12 Feb 2021 22:50 #33626 by Charlotte
No, and anyway the megamod is almost 300 mods packed into three.... So I need to sort out which ones of the 300 (or rather 250-280 or so) I want, and get them separately instead of in the megamod which just confuses me.

13 Feb 2021 15:19 #33630 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Gaming
Ubisoft is currently giving away Assassins Creed Chronicles China. Another one to go with the increasing list of Assassins Creed games I own but have never played. One day I'll be able to assassinate all across the world and throughout history... one day, oh yes :evil: :pirate: