April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

The Trailer Park

23 Oct 2020 21:59 #31663 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic The Trailer Park
I usually have three or four episodes to watch but that sometimes includes shows on normal telly.
So tonight I've just watched Sense8, then I'll watch Brave New World from TV and then get through one or two DS9s. I'm just starting season six of that.

The other night a "new" TV version of Minority Report started on some channel somewhere but further investigation revealed that it's very far from being "new". It's apparently five years old! :dry:
I watched the first episode and it was terrible enough for me to not go back for more. :nope:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Oct 2020 22:08 - 23 Oct 2020 22:15 #31666 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic The Trailer Park
Good to know. (about Minority TV Report)
And if you watch 1 episode each of 3-4 shows that's not so different from me watching 3-4 episodes of 1 show :P

EDIT; then again, I lay awake until 2 am last night trying to finish a book I've been reading. Dad, one of his neighbours, and I have been exchanging books over the summer, but they're not quite my thing... This last one... I felt like I was from another planet - everyone seemed to be angry all the time, or analysing other people's behaviour in a way I'd never do and it just all felt so off. And them being angry made me angry. well, them, and the feeling that it was all just rather pretentious. It's English title is "The end of the wasp season", the Swedish title is Wasp Summer which implies an abundance of wasps - but there were just the two wasps that died in a couple different chapters... Seeing the English title, maybe the pretentiousness is the translators fault... But then again, it ended with a sentence about a hypothetical historical person falling to the ground and crying into her skirt...Because someone else was happy and grieving? uhm... well... Anyway...I didn't like it.

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

23 Oct 2020 22:27 #31669 by Valence
Haven't read that. I did wonder if that was gonna be an odd translation of The Wasp Factory but it's obviously not... now that I've googled it. :P
I was gonna make a start on Memory, Sorrow And Thorn... (again!) after finishing that first Malazan book but I've been getting a bit sick of High Fantasy novels recently having read that, Lord of the Rings and that ongoing Wheel Of Time thing, so instead I tried a bit of Proust with the first volume of that famous massive thing he wrote.
The long intense descriptions are beautiful to read but it's one of those books that would be a damn sight better if something actually happened in it. :dry:

Anyhoo, with that done I'm gonna re-read Silence Of The Lambs next. :)

23 Oct 2020 22:36 #31670 by Charlotte
Oh I remember liking those (Tad Williams). I did put them in a basement box when I moved here, and I don't remember all that much about them except liking them. It's almost 20 years since I read them - or at least since I read the first of them. (I was working as a teacher 2000-2001 and one of the kids was reading this series and it looked interesting so I got them too.)

Proust... sounds familiar :S But I don't actually know what he wrote :dry:

23 Oct 2020 22:41 #31671 by Valence
Whatever he wrote, he wrote a lot of it. :lol:

Swann's Way is the one I've just finished. Thankfully I don't have any of the other volumes. ;)

24 Oct 2020 21:53 #31680 by Valence
Not much on TV tonight so I think I'll be searching my recordings for something to watch "before" sleep.
I noticed earlier that I've got the movie Looper saved in there so I may give that another go. I recall not liking it too much the first time around but my opinions may change. :)

I vaguely remember being completely distracted by the way they gave the younger actor an obvious and hilarious fake nose to make him look "more like" Bruce Willis.

24 Oct 2020 22:56 #31683 by Valence
That nose is STILL distracting. :dry:

25 Oct 2020 12:10 #31684 by Valence
Nope, didn't like it again. :shrug:
:zzz:

25 Oct 2020 13:13 #31685 by Charlotte
I got curious about that nose, and did an image search. First headline:

"Why Looper was a terrible film | Pet Hates"

(I can't say the nose stands out, to me, but if they wanted a younger Bruce Willis surely they could have found someone with a symmetrically oval head? It's not the NOSE that makes the two actors dissimilar, it's the jawline! And skull shape. And profile.... which they apparently tried to remedy. But again, why not just choose an actor that doesn't look so very different?)

25 Oct 2020 15:10 - 25 Oct 2020 15:12 #31686 by Valence
Even without The Nose it's still a very odd film. It starts off with an interesting set up and the first 40 minutes keep the interest going but then the story and its scale just seem to get smaller and smaller until you have a tedious fight on a farm all over the hackneyed cliche of a Special Child.

A surprising number of people like to rate it as some kind of masterpiece which is why I'm willing to keep giving it another go but I don't really see what they see in it. :shrug: