May challenge - Alien excavation

Deadline for entry:

April challenge Voting open!

Totally Random

10 Dec 2014 17:35 #7627 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Totally Random
Can anyone explain to me how I can have access to this website but no internet access at all besides this? I can't fetch my email, or get to google, or facebook or anywhere... But here there's no problem. :?

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 Dec 2014 19:40 #7629 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Totally Random
Yesterday it was the opposite for me for an hour or two. This site was down but everything else worked.

Selective internet problems baffle me too! :huh:

10 Dec 2014 19:55 #7631 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Totally Random

Yesterday it was the opposite for me for an hour or two. This site was down but everything else worked.

Yeah, that wasn't just you, I believe there may have been a problem with our host server for a brief period yesterday because I wasn't able to access any of the sites I host on my account, or my associated email service.

I expect the internet will just completely fall apart one day under the pressure.

11 Dec 2014 08:27 #7633 by Charlotte
In my case I lost the nexus just after posting and then (barely) managed to access a news site which mentioned nothing about it. But apparently my ISP (the biggest in Sweden I Think) was bogged down by an attack on a gaming Company that I assume was using the same ISP or some such. I hate hackers. *grumbles*

11 Dec 2014 08:36 #7634 by kazky
Replied by kazky on topic Totally Random
yeah I couldn't get in for a little while either, I was avoiding clearing cache so i'm glad I didn't have to :)

11 Dec 2014 09:45 #7635 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Totally Random

In my case I lost the nexus just after posting and then (barely) managed to access a news site which mentioned nothing about it. But apparently my ISP (the biggest in Sweden I Think) was bogged down by an attack on a gaming Company that I assume was using the same ISP or some such. I hate hackers. *grumbles*

I thought it was probably something like that, and it wouldn't surprise me if our downtime was caused by something similar. There appears to be a lot of it going on at the moment. And there's probably some idiots throwing a tantrum because Pirate Bay was taken down again (that was also in Sweden I believe, so possibly related).

11 Dec 2014 23:00 #7651 by octoberstormxx
Replied by octoberstormxx on topic Totally Random
Hm, I haven't had any trouble accessing the site thus far, except for the little username issue. But once I fixed the cookies problem nothing weird has happened since.

13 Dec 2014 12:23 #7670 by Charlotte
Been wrapping christmas gifts today. Ran out of wrapping paper when I had just two fairly small things left :P Typical.

Also saw the Hobbit yesterday. :woohoo: Will try to not give out any spoilers but I enjoyed it anyhow. There were a few places where my "suspension of disbelief" wasn't quite enough and a few too many places where they used the "everything slows down and sound sort of becomes distant" effect... but I guess I'll forgive Mr Jackson. I did quite enjoy it after all and I'll miss visiting Middle Earth :)

Speaking of other movie goers, there were a few of the "has to check the cellphone and thereby lighting up the darkness" - one of them doing this repeatedly. But other than that people were pretty well behaved. There were a couple of people who chose silent moments to open their soda cans, instead of taking the opportunity in the midst of noisy battle... Behind me there was a group of young men who were incredibly giddy and silly before the movie began and seemingly expecting that they would annoy poeople and get kicked out. But they calmed down just before the movie started and when the movie was over one of them sounded rather awe-struck when he declared he had enjoyed it :)

Oh and I can't remember if there were drawings of places and characters at the end of the previous two movies but I did enjoy staying behind and watching through the drawings when everyone else was rushing to get out. (I think they rather failed with Hugo Weaving - his face looked somewhat skewed.)

13 Dec 2014 19:24 #7678 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Totally Random
Haven't seen the new one and won't for many months but The Hobbit as a trilogy has been a strange phenomenon. The first one pretty much killed all my enthusiasm for Movie Middle Earth (slowest party ever! And who invited James Nesbitt?) Yet with no expectation I really enjoyed the second one. And now I don't what to expect from the third one, especially as the last one finished fairly close to the end of the whole story as I remember it.

I do hope they give it a rest now for a while, although I'm sure the money men will be pushing for The Silmarillion in at least three parts.

14 Dec 2014 11:08 #7684 by Charlotte
I was delighted to recogise Nesbitt in the first one. :) After that I tried to recognise the other dwarves as well but I'm not that good at actors :P

I read the book when I was a teen so I don't really remember anything at all from it, but it's probably true that the second one ended close to the end of the story. The last one IS basically the last battle, and not much actual story. Still enjoyable though, if you like watching fantasy architecture, costumes, orc designs and dragons :)