April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Totally Random

24 Jul 2014 12:19 #4066 by kazky
Replied by kazky on topic Totally Random
It was quite a while ago rorke so I literally made a website called 'Wytchwoodcraft' I didn't promo it as I didn't really know how. I also had boxes for tarot cards. I think now would be an easier sell as you say, things like Etsy has made selling craft things so much easier, lemme get pics

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Jul 2014 12:51 #4073 by kazky
Ok let's see if I can upload pics, I actually was doing these 9 years ago! Time flies!

24 Jul 2014 12:53 #4074 by kazky
The big one was made by a professional woodworker so you can see the difference to mine :) that's my actual BOS.

24 Jul 2014 13:09 - 24 Jul 2014 13:12 #4076 by Digital Dave
Replied by Digital Dave on topic Totally Random
Those are very cool, Kaz. Also like the box, very nicely done. :)

Meant to ask, with your Dremel, do you just use the standard itself or do you have the Flex Cable attachment?

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

24 Jul 2014 13:25 - 24 Jul 2014 13:25 #4079 by kazky
Standard dremel Dave, the cable seemed to give inconsistent speed & it was hard enough trying to keep the dremel head steady when it hit a groove in the wood , never mind grappling with speed changes too

24 Jul 2014 13:31 #4082 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Totally Random
Can I become a wiccan just so I can have a cool book like that? :P

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

24 Jul 2014 13:35 #4084 by kazky
Lol, I do enjoy having it Charlotte :)

24 Jul 2014 13:52 #4087 by Digital Dave
Replied by Digital Dave on topic Totally Random

Standard dremel Dave, the cable seemed to give inconsistent speed & it was hard enough trying to keep the dremel head steady when it hit a groove in the wood , never mind grappling with speed changes too

Really, I found it to be quite useful giving me more control and flexibility. But I did find that was easier on a low speed and working slowly. When I use it at a higher speed I do run into the issues you mention. ... Agree Charlotte, I'd like one too! :)

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

24 Jul 2014 14:31 #4090 by Thomgirl
Replied by Thomgirl on topic Totally Random

Yep!!

Some more of that prose would be fun too!! :hmm:

Basically Dom there's a sort of parable that I can't remember where I got it from. But I'll do my best to repeat it. A raven walks up to a sparrow that is laying flat on its back with its wings outstretched and legs straight up in the air. The raven, concerned the little fellow is dead, walks up to the sparrow and asks 'Are you okay?' and the sparrow replies 'Yep! Just doing my part to keep the sky from falling.' quite matter of factly. The raven is puzzled by this since the sky is so big and the sparrow is so small (why no one is puzzled by the idea of the sky falling is beyond me) and asks the little sparrow ' and responds 'You are far too small to do this thing, why bother trying at all?' and the sparrow gives the raven a defiant look and returns his answer, 'Well one does what one can.'

Just a parable that sorta has a lot of meaning for me. One of those things that just really touches me on many levels. I try to be the sparrow. Don't overthink to much, believe in what I feel is right no matter who comes along and tells me I'm silly, and/or choosing to just work as hard as I can at accomplishing something. I'm no master craftswoman yet (I'm still young) but I'm doing what I can to get there and that's better than doing nothing!

But back to topic!

Kaz! That's awesome! I've seen wood covered books before, but never thought about it for playing around with myself. Very cool stuff. I'm getting into turning wooden pens on the side. They're fun, quick, easy, and people love to buy them. You should see about trying out different woods for your book covers and just enhancing their natural colors with shellac. It'd be amazing to see your stuff in poplar or birdseye maple or a curly cherry. You could have a lot of fun with that!

So here's a few examples of my work:

I build boxes too as gifts for people. This was curly maple and walnut.

Our dresser pre handles installed (went with oiled copper). Red Oak stained cherry.

Vanity I built for the last remodel I did. Oak, golden pine stain, with granite tile top.

And the latest box I've built with one of my pens inside. Again, curly maple but with wenge instead. The pen is made of pistachio wood.
Attachments:

24 Jul 2014 14:55 #4093 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Totally Random
Oh these are such fun to see! I want to have a wood workshop too! (a bit difficult to fit into my apartment though - been looking for a house in the country for years, but my budget's too small...)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.