April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Totally Random

22 Jul 2014 14:51 #3832 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Totally Random
*grumbles*
I just broke my TV antenna cable - again. I fixed it like three times the same week just a couple of weeks ago. And I decided it was about time I bought new er... sockets? ends? whatever.... the little things that are totally crap on my current cable. So I found a site that sells them and the price isn't much. But it's such a small order I have to pay the same again as a small order fee. Grrrr. Still not much money but I can't even tell if those two "ends" would be better than what I have. (Can't even tell how to take them apart and attach them to the cable but I assume they wouldn't sell something that can't be connected to something else, when that's the whole purpose of them?)

Eeep, gotta run! *going out to eat with friends*

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Jul 2014 16:47 #3846 by Digital Dave
Replied by Digital Dave on topic Totally Random
Charlotte, would this be the coaxle cable that screws into the set, as well as the cable box? If so, I'm guessing it the end piece (connectors) that's giving you issues? I actually have the tool needed to crimp the ends properly, but can tell ya that if you are speaking about the end connectors that they sell that can be screwed or pressed on, do yourself a favor and just buy a new cable with the connectors already affixed on the cable. ... Those cheap ones they sell that you press on by hand, or in some instances screw on, generally don't give very good results, and most of the time simply cause more issues and poor picture quality. ... If this is the case, simply measure the length you require and purchase a new line already put together. Like I said I purchased the tool to do this myself, but I also ran all new cable throughout my entire house, and figured I would still find use for it in the future.

Just hate to see anyone loose money buying these cheap connectors, and having nothing but more issues. And you can probably find the entire cable for nearly the same price, or not much more. :) Good luck with it.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

22 Jul 2014 17:25 #3854 by Charlotte
You're probably right Dave, I think it's just a case of not previously having found the length of cable I need that has had me looking for the connectors. The cable I use now is way too long because when I bought it the guy forgot to shorten it as I wanted... And the connectors they had were truly crappy. (This was a local store - the only one for electronics and such.) But my previous cables have been too short (I had to use two which made the joint end up by the balcony door and getting grit in it) and I think I also bought one because the connector wouldn't fit in the wall socket... No... the new one didn't fit. Gah. The old one was thinner and fit while the new one was too fat :P So I think I have at least three different cables and none of them work well.

I'm also considering just moving the TV to where the people who first put in the wall socket apparently felt the TV should be. Which would leave my sofa with it's back to the middle of the living room... Not very feng shui :P

23 Jul 2014 11:03 #3917 by Charlotte
So... I decided to dig out the old cable and totally rearrange my livingroom. Good thing I decided to dig out the cable first, because I can't find it anywhere... Guess I'll have to buy a new one AND rearrange my livingroom. Eventually. For today I used a screwdriver and a pair of scissors and the current cable is once again working :P

23 Jul 2014 11:38 #3921 by Digital Dave

For today I used a screwdriver and a pair of scissors and the current cable is once again working :P

That's all a woman needs to make something work, huh? :huh: And here guys carry all those stupid tools! :P

Good to hear it's working. When I bought my house, the previous owners' son apparently didn't want to be bothered with installing a cable line correctly, so he simply drilled a hole up through the hardwood floor, a few inches out from the wall, but also in a place where putting a piece of furniture there to hide it was nearly impossible. :blink: Needless to say, I have since re-installed it into the wall proper, but still have a stupid hole in the floor. (And another one in the master bedroom) apparently the two rooms he wanted his cable in. :wink:

23 Jul 2014 12:07 #3925 by Charlotte
:blink: I hope they were for cables and not for spycams!

and yes, all a woman really needs is a pair of scissors... :silly:

23 Jul 2014 14:58 #3934 by Thomgirl
Replied by Thomgirl on topic Totally Random
And a miter saw, impact drill, table saw, router, a good hand plane, measuring tape, jointer, planer, and let us not forget a hammer!

23 Jul 2014 15:34 #3939 by Charlotte
well, ok... as long as they fit in the handbag? Oh is that why handbags are so big these days!? I must be behind the times (and I hate handbags :P )

23 Jul 2014 17:26 #3959 by Digital Dave
Might have to change your name to 'Toolgirl', Thomgirl.:P But yep, I have all those myself. Though might need a duffle bag to carry it all about.

24 Jul 2014 00:18 #3990 by Domtopia
Replied by Domtopia on topic Totally Random
I love joinery... but I can only wish to have the space for that kind of kit!

T-girl... you sound like a handy friend to have around!!

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!