April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Madi's WIP's

08 Jan 2018 20:04 #19801 by octoberstormxx
Replied by octoberstormxx on topic Madi's WIP's
Charlotte: Right!? Likewise, I was super shocked that he was totally American with a Northern European background, almost to the point of disbelief. His skin tone is quite dark with an almost olive undertone, plus, he has jet black hair. Not very common for a primarily German and British background.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Jan 2018 12:52 #19802 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Madi's WIP's
maybe his mom or grandmom or someone wasn't entirely truthful with their hubby... :dry:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

09 Jan 2018 13:31 #19803 by octoberstormxx
Charlotte: I thought the same exact thing! xD

10 Jan 2018 00:50 #19811 by octoberstormxx

Don't know if I'm going to call this finished yet. Still debating.
Attachments:

11 Jan 2018 14:39 #19817 by octoberstormxx
So, I have a super fun legal question with art.

This Star Wars fanart got a bit of circulation on Tumblr and DeviantArt. I was contacted by a French magazine called Cine Story asking to print it in a Star Wars artbook anthology. It’s unpaid, and I know as well as any artist that you should be very weary with all things commercial when it comes to fanart. I don’t want to be slammed with a lawsuit from Disney or something if I said yes. So my question is, what are the risks of saying yes? Could the magazine have obtained permission to make these anthologies? And can anyone here read French that can tell me whether this is in print or digital?

shop.oracom.fr/329-ciné-story
shop.oracom.fr/be-creative-numeros-speciaux/1893-1.html

11 Jan 2018 15:17 #19819 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Madi's WIP's

So my question is, what are the risks of saying yes? Could the magazine have obtained permission to make these anthologies? And can anyone here read French that can tell me whether this is in print or digital?

You aren't making money from their IP so you aren't doing anything wrong. If anyone was likely to be in legal trouble it would be the publisher and not you as they are the ones selling a product with the Star Wars name.

I have a piece of artwork based on a Star Wars character that has been all over the internet for the last 10 years and nobody has ever contacted me with regard to any rights infringements. I'm not a legal expert though.

11 Jan 2018 15:27 #19820 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Madi's WIP's
Hey, Banj, I haven't seen your Darth Plagueis picture for at least three days. :lol:

I know absolutely nothing about any of this but I did read something on reddit the other day about Star Wars fan art being ripped off and in the comments the question of legal rights and money came up and people seemed to be saying that you don't get into trouble if you leave out the logos. Although I'm not sure I'd trust the views of random reddit comments. :)

But I really, REALLY don't know. :dunno:

11 Jan 2018 17:38 #19822 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Madi's WIP's
Not sure either...
"Version papier disponible" means a paper version is available. I can't see anything about digital...

With regards to copyrights... Where's the still/ref from? Is that copyrighted? I think there are two things you mustn't do: claim your picture is your copyright and get paid...

I'm not sure about the magazine though. They'll charge for their issues so they make money. Both off of you and star wars. Then again, as long as fan art is labeled fan art it's usually not a problem (I think :?)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

11 Jan 2018 21:16 #19824 by octoberstormxx
Banj: Mm, I figured it would probably be on them as well since I wouldn't be profiting off it at all. And that's so cool! :-) All I've been doing art-wise lately is a shit ton of fanart for Star Wars. It's a terrible distraction really, but at least it's served as a great point of inspiration and motivation to get some art stuff done! :-)

Valence: Yeah, I'll definitely avoid any logo! I've heard how tetchy Disney gets even over the Mickey and Minnie Mouse ears!

Charlotte: Thanks! They did confirm it's a print magazine, and that they would be willing to send me a copy even though I'm in the U.S.A. (it sounds like at no charge too, so that's nice). I think the still/ref is from the movie... but I've watched it three times, and I can't ascertain when it's from in the movie. It must have been the recent one though because of the scar. Per your advice though, I definitely will avoid claiming that image as my own copyright and getting paid.

I think they must have some kind of permission to be making it, especially if it's selling in stores as print. Otherwise, that's really quite a gamble they're taking! They've made two other Star Wars anthology artbooks. It seems like the company produces/sells a lot of other magazines as well, some which are actually for sale here in the U.S.A. like Molly Makes and other hobbyist magazines I've seen lying about in the bookstores here.

22 Jan 2018 21:16 - 22 Jan 2018 21:35 #19972 by octoberstormxx
So I've been working on a few more "Star Wars: The Last Jedi" characters in a more traditional media. I'm trying out drawing sketch cards of about 2.5" x 3.5", so they're pretty small in spite of looking rather large in the pictures:

Attachments: