April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Madi's WIP's

15 Jun 2017 04:44 - 15 Jun 2017 04:46 #16486 by octoberstormxx
Replied by octoberstormxx on topic Madi's WIP's
Still whittling away at this portrait. Experimenting with more brushes.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

31 Dec 2017 16:41 #19705 by octoberstormxx
I was feeling inspired by The Last Jedi, so I started working on this portrait. I'm going for a more painted look for this piece, I've definitely strayed a bit from the reference photo, but I still want it to capture the general likeness.
Attachments:

31 Dec 2017 18:04 #19706 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Madi's WIP's
Hey, Madi! :waves:

Good to see someone getting inspired to paint again. :)

That looks great, even at this first wip stage. You've already got all the features that make him so recognisable. He has a very unique look that's fun to capture. When I try to draw him I'm always surprised at how small his forehead seems to be.

Oh, and I'm glad there are no spoilers in it too. :)

31 Dec 2017 18:21 #19707 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Madi's WIP's
Good to see you Madi!

Personally I'm no fan of Kylo Ren so if you don't get a likeness, all the better :P That said you do seem to be on the right track!

Happy New Year! :)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

31 Dec 2017 20:48 #19712 by octoberstormxx
Valence: Thank you! His face has been a bit of a toughie to crack. I've noticed a lot of his features are fairly disproportionate. It's sure one interesting face though.

Charlotte: Thanks, Charlotte! Awwww, but he's so moody and brooding. :-P In all honesty, I'd probably hate him as a person. But I think he makes for a pretty multi-faceted villain. :-)

Here's another update of the portrait. I reworked the chin, nose, and forehead, and I'm hoping it looks even closer to his likeness now.
Attachments:

31 Dec 2017 22:26 #19714 by Digital Dave
Replied by Digital Dave on topic Madi's WIP's
Nice to see some new work, Madi. :)

Though it's coming along nicely, I too am not a big fan of his. Not sure what it is about him, but he just doesn't seem to fit the role well in my opinion. :dunno: - But I also didn't like the person who portrayed Darth Vader/Anakin for the first three episodes either.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

31 Dec 2017 22:42 #19715 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Madi's WIP's
Well, I'll be the odd one out and admit (much to Banj's annoyance) that I like Kylo Ren (and the actor Adam Driver.)
He's like a young Professor Snape with all his awkward, alienated, conflicted petulance. :P

And he's coming along nicely with the scar!

01 Jan 2018 09:48 #19716 by Charlotte
lol well I do agree he makes me think of Professor Snape. But I like Alan Rickman a whole lot better.

08 Jan 2018 18:44 - 08 Jan 2018 18:46 #19797 by octoberstormxx

Another update! I had to resize the head and I'm now working with a finer sort of pencil brush to maintain that painterly/traditional look I want the piece to have.

Dave: Yeah, I think Adam Driver/Kylo Ren has been a pretty divisive topic among the Star Wars fans. I personally love him as an actor and villain. His acting is impressive. Likewise, I think he puts a lot of soul in that role. But aesthetic-wise, his face is what especially gets me... though I can't put my finger on why exactly that is, haha! I've always liked ugly-pretty guys that have a more unconventional beauty, especially when it comes to drawing portraits of people.

Valence: *high fives* Yes! He reminds me /so/ much of a young Professor Snape/Alan Rickman! I've always been a fan of him as well. And thanks!

Charlotte: In my mind, Alan Rickman is just a more matured version of Adam Driver. xD
Attachments:

08 Jan 2018 19:07 #19798 by Charlotte
ha ha well maybe I just like more mature guys :P

I looked up Adam last time we talked of him and was surprised that he seemed pretty much 100% american (or at least nothing of what I expected) - I think he has what I usually consider a eastern european kind of look. Slavic maybe.