April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Adventures across the 3rd dimension

13 Mar 2024 17:59 #49528 by Valence
Pesky topology. :shakefist:

I was playing about with the Quadriflow remesh today instead of the boxy voxel thing and it was quite good in terms of the number of faces and how it maintained the details of the sculpt. But the quads wouldn't follow the form correctly and some of the resulting edge loops were just bizarre in the way they spiralled around the model.

Topology! :eyeroll:
But I'm still determined to not do it by hand in the proper way. :lol:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Mar 2024 18:18 #49529 by Charlotte
Quadrille? But quads must be related to square dancing... Bizarre spiralling, modern jazz ballet? :hmm:

:dumb:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

13 Mar 2024 18:35 #49530 by Valence
That looks like high quality entertainment. :)

And I'm back here cos I've just had a brainwave about my problem. I duplicated my model. Set the duplicate to "shrinkwrap" to the original and that let me select the edges to move and rotate them via proportional editing to fit the flow of the model better. :woohoo:
And it sort of worked!
Sort of.
Makes a bit of a mess of the edges close to the symmetry axis but that's easy to fix.

13 Mar 2024 18:48 #49531 by Charlotte
:dumb:

(as always)

13 Mar 2024 18:59 #49532 by Valence
Not as :dumb: as I was an hour ago but still a bit :dumb:

There's still something wrong with the wrists so I'll probably have to ditch this one but at least I learned something. :shrug:

13 Mar 2024 19:06 #49534 by Charlotte
Clarification: I was referring to myself when reading anything about anything done in Blender. :dry:

15 Mar 2024 20:14 - 15 Mar 2024 20:15 #49561 by Valence
More ":dumb: -ness" from me again.

Today I tried to experiment with the Rigify Addon and quickly realised that I don't really know how it works.
I did watch a tutorial beforehand but my result was ..erm... rather different. :S

:shrug:

I also fiddled with the multires modifier to try to add details to my all-quad model and that worked a little better. It's not as lumpy as my usual Dyntopo stuff, and you can shape better lines and edges, but I can't get the same level of details without it repeatedly subdividing the whole model causing quite a bit of slooooowness.

27 Mar 2024 16:24 #49737 by Banj
I think I have now sorted out most of the base people materials, and when I got to the last one I noticed a couple of checkboxes in the fbx importer that automatically set up things that I had been doing manually  I then went back through all the characters again because I discovered that all the textures had been set to add mode instead of normal which explained a lot 

Attachments:

27 Mar 2024 17:40 - 27 Mar 2024 18:02 #49738 by Valence
Oh, the little bit on top of the lower eyelid is supposed to be a wet little highlight. 

I didn't understand what that was. I guess that should be set to transparent too. :hmm:

EDIT: Still not getting those highlights or the reflection in the eyes. :shrug:

27 Mar 2024 18:06 #49739 by Banj
I have specualrity and fresnel on those transparent bits, I also had to invert the transparency maps for them (and all the others). I probably spent more time fixing the eyes than the rest of it.