April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Evil's Sketches and WIP's

02 Feb 2016 15:33 #13270 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Evil's Sketches and WIP's
This is coming along well. I especially like the glare in the deep background, it's a really good way to present the foreground character.
I think the bump texture on the brickwork to the right is a little harsh, it looks a little like crystal-growth in places. I don't really know enough about Zbrush on how to tone it down. Is it an actual bump/normal map or is it geometry?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

02 Feb 2016 17:07 #13271 by evilrobot
Replied by evilrobot on topic Evil's Sketches and WIP's
Thanks Valence. Yeah, I tried to drag out a quick texture on those bricks and I had my z intensity way too high. Going to fix it in post I'm too new at zbrush to know if changing the model in Zbrush will wipe out all the work I already did in the render engine. But I am getting the hang of this stuff only been doing it 3 weeks and I'm getting some really cool results. I think I need to add one more light to the scene to make the direct light source brighter and I'll be ready to render it out for my portfolio. Then I'll work on an expression sheet and render out a turn table. Trying to get a good selection of 3d work for my portfolio. Going to do three characters and have expression sheets and turn tables for all of them.

03 Feb 2016 05:34 #13275 by evilrobot
And here's my first completed 3d illustration. Put all the passes together in Photoshop.

05 Feb 2016 07:16 #13291 by evilrobot
Work in progress #1 for the new project I'm working on.

06 Feb 2016 02:58 #13303 by crankshaft
Nice work. For the second recent pic the composition is way is off. My eyes are drawn more towards the door than the figure. The left side of the image is also very hot which is a harsh contrast from the remaining right half of the image.

06 Feb 2016 03:00 #13304 by crankshaft
Also I have a question for you: How did you go about rendering the glass pitcher in lesson 4 of the schoolism assignment? I've watched the lessons and video feedback and he doesn't really explain it well. Thanks!

12 Feb 2016 15:21 #13332 by evilrobot
Finished this one.

12 Feb 2016 15:22 #13333 by evilrobot
close up

12 Feb 2016 15:23 #13334 by evilrobot
and before it was cropped

13 Feb 2016 00:01 #13336 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Evil's Sketches and WIP's
The texture of the ice cream is perfect! If only he could get it to his mouth! You can see he really wants it. :lol:
And I don't know why, but I really like the teeth and the way they're not perfectly aligned. It just seems to suit the expression.