April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Evil's Sketches and WIP's

11 Jan 2016 10:11 #13159 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Evil's Sketches and WIP's
Nice work on your first ZB sculpt Evil, I remember mine being a lot rougher.

Excellent work. It still has your personality in it which is really great. Small question: I heard Zbrush is more towards organics like creatures and characters. For now I use sketch up because it's easy and fast for technical stuff. Should I learn Zbrush later on as well?

A few years ago that might have been the case, these days ZBrush is very capable of hard surface work as much as organic. They put a lot of effort in the last few updates that focused on that area with brushes like the polish, trim, and with tools like clip curves and panel loops. Most recently Zbrush gained a whole new Sub-D modelling tool set to allow tradition box modelling. Pixologic have a shed load of videos on ZModeler here if you want to take a look: pixologic.com/zclassroom/homeroom/lesson/zmodeler/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Jan 2016 16:43 - 11 Jan 2016 16:44 #13161 by evilrobot
Replied by evilrobot on topic Evil's Sketches and WIP's
Banj is right the Zmodeler brush is really nice and there are so many options and if you like Sketchup you'll be able to do everything and more with the Zmodeler brush...............the one thing I'm finding out fast is that getting into 3d is super expensive $800.00 bucks for Zbrush....but I don't think I'll be happy with anything I do in Zbrush until I can get a decent render and the tutorials for the rendering part of the program seem to be very few and not that easy to understand. So looks like I'll need to drop another $1000.00 for Keyshot so I can get some good renders.....I see renderman is free for non commercial use....not sure if that would be a good way to go or not or if it will even work well with the zbrush sculpts....any suggestions for rendering?

12 Jan 2016 14:17 #13170 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Evil's Sketches and WIP's
Ouch! Those prices really hurt.
I'm afraid 3d software is either free or non-existent for me so all my tinkering is in Sculptris and then Blender (and that's an old version) and I doubt if that renderer is any better than ZBrush.

12 Jan 2016 16:45 #13172 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Evil's Sketches and WIP's
I would persevere with rendering in ZB for a while longer before jumping into other software. I would also think about not trying to achieve perfect results straight out of the render, but making use of multiple render passes (using different materials and lighting etc.) and compositing and combining different elements in Photoshop. It's possible to get some great results from ZBrush's renderer without knowing a huge amount about it's render settings.

23 Jan 2016 11:00 #13211 by evilrobot
This was just a test trying out some things I hadn't attempted before in Zbrush.

24 Jan 2016 21:58 #13219 by evilrobot
Belt buckle I made for a character I'm working on. Doing the advance Zbrush course where they show you how to make a character start to finish and then pose him or her. Working on all his clothes and stuff right now.

25 Jan 2016 00:53 #13220 by evilrobot
And here's a work in progress on the full character.

30 Jan 2016 23:32 #13247 by evilrobot
Finished modeling the character. Started posing and setting up the scene. WIP_3

01 Feb 2016 12:05 - 01 Feb 2016 12:06 #13255 by evilrobot
Getting close. Think I over sharpened it. Also going to add some fog.

02 Feb 2016 14:34 #13268 by evilrobot
Almost done.