May challenge - Alien excavation

Deadline for entry:

April challenge Voting open!

The Trailer Park

07 Jul 2023 12:53 - 07 Jul 2023 12:54 #46161 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic The Trailer Park
I'm still not sure I'd recommend it. It was a bit odd, and rather uneventful for the most part and while it could have been thought-provoking, the whole "this is a theatre play" beginning and end just made it look "pretentious" instead.

Still, I did watch it, and these days I usually just stop and find something else, or play a game or something if I don't care for something.

Edit: 
Warning: Spoiler!

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

07 Jul 2023 23:00 #46166 by Charlotte
Today I've watched the first episode of Deadwood. With several interruptions including a long and much too late in the day nap... But I think I might get into it.

I thought it was entirely made up but then Wild Bill Hickock showed up and I recognised his name so I had a google. The guy was 30 when he died. He's played by Carradine, 70+. :blink: Then I googled the show and apparently it's 20 years old, so I guess he was only 20 years too old at the time.

And my suspicion that "Jane" in the show, is "Calamity Jane" turned out to be correct. Other than this I suspect most of what will happen in the series will be made up stuff. And it being 20 years old, I wonder if maybe I have already seen it before? :hmm: I don't recognise anything but the actors, so far.

07 Jul 2023 23:51 #46167 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic The Trailer Park
I enjoyed Deadwood.
The real joy in the show is its use of language. I'm not sure how well it'll translate into Swedish but the English version was like a modern version of Shakespeare where all the dialogue has a very distinct and noticeable rhythm to it and you can tell that the actors love reciting it. Especially Ian McShane when Swearengen does his thoughtful soliloquies at the end of certain episodes. :)

And then Hearst turns up and... :ohmy:

07 Jul 2023 23:52 #46168 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic The Trailer Park
Deadwood is fiction, but it is heavily inspired by real people and events. I have the boxset and I re-watched it all not too long ago. I haven't seen the more recent film that concludes everything (mostly, several of the cast had died by the time it was made so their characters aren't in it), as it was cancelled after 3 seasons.

Swedgen 

08 Jul 2023 07:29 #46170 by Charlotte
Well I watch it in English with English subtitles.... but I've mostly noticed an awful lot of "Jesus Almighty Christ" or was it "God Almighty Jesus"? Something like that, mostly used for cussing :P (And the F-word, too)

Swedgen

:blink: :stare:

08 Jul 2023 10:45 #46173 by Banj
Swedgen!

08 Jul 2023 10:47 #46174 by Charlotte
We're not just one gen, you know. :stare:

:dumb:

08 Jul 2023 11:13 #46176 by Banj
All will become clear... eventually.

08 Jul 2023 11:46 #46178 by Charlotte
:dry: that's pretty much what my sister says when I asks too many questions about hayday.

08 Jul 2023 16:54 #46187 by Charlotte
Trying to watch something on svtplay and it's horrible. Not the program, but the buffering. It's literally less than 60 seconds between each interruption. (I started taking note at 7.36, next was 8.27, next 9.21...)

:stare:
I don't really feel like another episode of deadwood today, or at least not yet. So maybe I'll play some Skyrim instead. Didn't play at all, yesterday.