April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

The Trailer Park

03 Apr 2022 08:21 #40286 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic The Trailer Park
I'm currentlrttrfgvc WATCHING TWO caTS Get in the way of myhjny screen :dumb:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

04 Apr 2022 17:04 #40291 by Charlotte
I think I just saw the worst animation/fake animal ever :blink:
(It was a "seagull" dying very theatrically in Montalbano, the Gull's Dance)

05 Apr 2022 18:03 #40292 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic The Trailer Park
Started to watch Suspicion last night and it initially seemed reasonably intriguing in a cheap kind of way. Then my memory started to function (it does happen sometimes. :dumb:) and I slowly realised that it's just a remake of the Israeli show False Flag which I've already seen. :eyeroll:

05 Apr 2022 19:59 #40293 by Charlotte
I started watching the Spanish series the Cook of Castamere. So far it seems mostly a trivial romantic fantasy with all the clichés from all the books. Probably the Barbara Cartland books. Pretty young girl is orphaned and has to make a living so she gets a position at a Duke's. Duke is tall, dark and.... uh... rich, probably. And a widower who refuses to stop mourning his wife. Once there, she soon she visits the library in the middle of the night and the Duke stumbles upon her. She also immediately gets recognised for her cooking skills, and becomes the cook. There was an awful lot of slow motion and close-ups of people eating at that point, while she was doing a voice over about the double meaning of savouring something.... I'm not sure how, but time seems to work differently on this series than it usually does. I took a break for a shower with 30 minutes left, got back and continued watching. And 40 minutes later there's still 10 minutes left... :huh:

Anyway I couldn't really stand more of it. Bedtime for me. :zzz:

06 Apr 2022 19:32 - 06 Apr 2022 19:33 #40307 by Charlotte
I just found "Once Upon a Time...Space" on Netflix. I always thought it was called Andromeda and I know I figured out years ago, why, but I can't recall that now. Anyway they're currently observing an object "to the northeast" in Space. :dumb: Is that even possible?

And speaking of the impossible and Space, earlier I watched a bit of "Nasa Mystery Files" on telly. I think the mystery is what they have to do with Nasa in the first place... But in the short time I watched I came across quite a number of interesting logical ... holes.
When I started watching they were explaining how both Mars and Earth have a coating on stone surfaces called "desert varnish". They then explained that desert varnish on earth contains organic matter, and therefore there was a high probability of the same being the case on Mars. So basically we might be able to find traces of life from long ago on Mars. From this, they went to the hypothesis that if there might have been (microbial) life on Mars at some point there might have been aliens on Earth. Then they went into the realm of the "Shadow Biome" which apparently would be life forms that we cannot see or identify because they are so different from us.

So basically... they implied that organic matter is needed for desert varnish to form. It isn't. They implied that if there was once microbes on Mars, intelligent life is likely to have visited us - or maybe even still be right here among us except we can't see them... or was it identify them? I'm not sure why they would be invisible but there was a woman who said we'd be incapable of seeing their DNA because it would be so different to ours. But I'm pretty sure we're capable os seeing things we've never seen before, unless the very atoms of that shadow life are invisible. :dry:

I wouldn't be surprised if some people watch these shows and actually just believe everything. Like, they have an anthropologist to talk about alien visitors etc. It kind of looks legit, but it's just a mish mash of nonsense. And I feel sorry for people who can't tell. And I feel sorry for people like me, who might want an interesting but REALISTIC series on cryptozoology and aliens and the supernatural. With actual experts (on say, what alien life might actually look like), historical accuracy and speculation based in logic, facts and science. And clearly stating that it's speculation, not "a possible thing that we've just not been told about by our governments"
:stare:

06 Apr 2022 19:52 #40309 by Valence
My Scientific Theory: Any show with "Mystery" and "Files" in the title is not likely to contain much truth. :confident:

Just had a quick look at the Pluto.tv "guide" and I think I might be able to finish Star Trek Discovery tonight. If I can stay awake. :unsure:

07 Apr 2022 05:58 #40310 by Charlotte
:dry:
X-Files
The truth is out there.

:dumb:

07 Apr 2022 12:08 #40311 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic The Trailer Park
I just checked out this Pluto TV thing, it's full to the brim with shows that have files and mystery in the title 

07 Apr 2022 13:46 #40315 by Valence
There's definitely a lot of dross on that service but at least it's free and it was nice to be able to catch that one season. Also I don't mind dipping into the never-ending Mythbusters episodes too. :)

09 Apr 2022 17:15 #40318 by Valence
Started watching Severance last night and so far it feels like a Black Mirror episode stretched out into a whole series. It also feels like it really wants to be like Devs, but as yet it doesn't have the cleverness of that show. I'm not sure how much it can get out of its one big idea but I'll keep watching to see where it goes. :)