April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN March 2018 - Roman Gods - WIPs

24 Mar 2018 19:51 #20617 by Thomgirl
So, after doing an entirely different piece and approaching it with a different method (or rather pushing a method that I had long ago messed with in traditional work and at the suggestion of a good friend I try and work with that instead of covering it up with a lot of painting) I am revisiting my Minerva. Beefing up the sketch part here and hope to post some color later on.

Aside from that, really nice stuff coming along here.
Hans: So good to see your stuff again! I mean, not like I haven't been around in, oh, forever, so for all I know you've been posting and I just haven't seen it. But regardless, I've always loved your work and I'm glad to see it coming along.

CG: Very nice color stuff going on and you've added in a lot of details and thought to the ambience of the work. That sash/tabard thing hanging between his legs is still getting to me though ;) The brocade on 'persephone's' dress is fantastic though. I know you can do drapery, her dress is proof of that! I only still pick at Pluto's because so much attention has been done to everything else and this is right in the focal area of the piece, it really should be addressed at some point.

Valence... come on man... I'm back in the game, you gotta step it up! Get some more updates in here!

Atto: I love the color in this. Very moody, and really captures that sort of forge feel. I can't quite explain it, but you've caught it very well. The glow on that metal is just... amazing. I am jealous. Keep it up!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Mar 2018 21:51 #20618 by Thomgirl
Attachments:

25 Mar 2018 07:36 #20619 by cgmythology
Charlotte: Excellent, glad to hear that!

Valence: Thank you! Hope to see an update from you soon!

Handsnomad: Thank you! Great progress on your image as well, really enjoying the skin tones in particular.

Thomgirl: Thanks! Excellent updates as well; Looks much cleaner now, looking forward to seeing it progress further!

I did some final touching up on the image, refined the lighting a bit and took care of some minor details. I'm calling it finished now, but I'm still open to input as the deadline isn't for another week. Here is the current progress:

Attachments:

25 Mar 2018 19:35 #20621 by Thomgirl
The metal work begins... fml.
Attachments:

26 Mar 2018 07:07 #20625 by Charlotte
Quite beside the painting but... I can't help but feel that
"If I am to bring war,
let me also bring wisdom"
both flows better and makes a bit more sense. But maybe it's an actual quote from somewhere else in which case I guess it shouldn't be altered :P

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

26 Mar 2018 12:34 #20633 by Thomgirl

Quite beside the painting but... I can't help but feel that
"If I am to bring war,
let me also bring wisdom"
both flows better and makes a bit more sense. But maybe it's an actual quote from somewhere else in which case I guess it shouldn't be altered :P

It's not an actual quote so far as I'm aware, and I think you're quite right with your proposed correction. If I decide to keep it there at all, I will change it to your format. Thanks Charlotte! As it is, it sort of started as my mental mantra while working on this and I'm toying with the idea of it becoming part of the work, but not really sold on it. We'll see.

26 Mar 2018 15:54 #20634 by Charlotte
I think it works nicely though, to tie a couple of her aspects together. Wisdom and war isn't something that automatically goes hand in hand, these days...

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

26 Mar 2018 16:45 #20635 by Thomgirl
@Charlotte: No, it isn't. That's a large reason why I'm doing this piece. I wanted her to look like she's dealing with the burden that it is while 'wisdom' covers and watches out for her (hence the owl drawn the way it is). I'm not one for getting into making overt political works of art, but I won't say that much of what I'm coping with on a personal level in America right now and its interactions with the rest of the world aren't going into this portrait.

Attachments:

27 Mar 2018 00:21 #20636 by hansnomad
Thomgirl: Glad to see you back in the game too. It's been a while. I've been away too--just lurking mostly. But I love mythology so had to jump on this challenge.

Done with my first pass at the figure (WIP09) and started to work on the background (WIP10). I think the numbering on my WIPs is messed up, but, whatever. I want to have the background be dark at the bottom and then go lighter as you get closer the moon that's supposed to be behind her head.

Attachments:

27 Mar 2018 08:21 #20637 by cgmythology
Thomgirl: Looking good so far, really enjoy the skin tones as well as how you painted the gold. I think the background could benefit from a more well balanced midtone, however.

Handsomad: Excellent update! Really enjoy the painterly look, and that fabric looks great! Looking forward to seeing how the background progresses as well.