March challenge - Enter here!

Deadline for entry:

February challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

CGAN March 2018 - Roman Gods - WIPs

14 Mar 2018 00:10 #20509 by Atto
I'm struggling too Val so I guess I'm at least in good company.
I cant tell you how many times I've redrawn the background and this time it sits at odds with the anvil I've put in. I think I may be losing the sense of being underwater that I struggled to get with the high contrast of the orange and black I've added too.
I'm not giving up though - I've spent too much time on this to ditch it now.

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 Mar 2018 21:32 #20530 by cgmythology
Looking good everyone, really enjoying how everyone is progressing with their image. I resumed work on mine, attached the current update. The souls still need a bit more work, concentrated mostly on Hades and Persephone for now as well as the environment. Need to work in more texture and details, I want to push this image as far as I can in that regard, so we'll see how it goes!

Attachments:

15 Mar 2018 23:44 - 15 Mar 2018 23:45 #20540 by hansnomad
Atto: Love the color scheme. The hot/cold elements are showing up really well. You said this was an underwater scene, right? Can't wait to see what you do with that--it's shaping up well.

cgmythology: Love your illustration style. It's sharp like a comic illustration but with the feel of a painting. And the color palette is phenomenal as well. The only thing that keeps pulling me out of it is the tabard (I think that's what it's called) hanging between his legs. I feel like it should kind of drape a bit over the seat first as it bends downward. Great work.

Listened to the advice I received here and went back to my original color scheme. Erased the armor (used the same head hands, etc.) and clothed her in a simpler roman style garb that works better for the pseudo-Mucha vibe I'm trying for. Doesn't look like much at this point but I'm hoping I can give it some life when I paint it in.

WIP06

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cgmythology

18 Mar 2018 09:24 #20562 by cgmythology
Hansnomad: Thank you! Glad you enjoy my style. Excellent point regarding the drapery as well. You're image is looking great, love the linework and design elements on it, looking forward to seeing it progress further!

Worked on the image a great deal, did some overall refinement as well as a lot of detail and texture work. It's getting there I think, here is the current update:

Attachments:

18 Mar 2018 10:15 #20563 by Charlotte
I'm happy to see you've softened up the dark edges on the "souls" in the background - in previous wips they looked rather too substantial. That said, in the original sketch I read the "splotches" on them as holes or see through parts. I think making them more ghostly still appeals more to me than the current ones. The colored splotches now look like either alien skin or a disease? Just my thoughts (based on what I was expecting, mainly)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cgmythology

18 Mar 2018 15:37 #20564 by cgmythology
Charlotte: Thank you, you always get great feedback from you! I want the souls to appear a bit demonic/alien looking, but I want them to appear as mostly ghosts as well. I toned down the effect of the wholes and tried to give them a bit of an ethereal bluish glow, to add to that 'ghost' look. Hope it's better now!

Refined the image as a whole, did a ton of texture/detail work. It's pretty much finished, I think I'll take a break from it and check it again in a few days to give a fresh look for it. Any feedback is appreciated as always :)

Attachments:

18 Mar 2018 16:02 #20565 by Charlotte
yup I think they look more ghostly now :)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

21 Mar 2018 21:29 #20582 by Valence
Cgmythology: That's coming along very well indeed. So much detail, and that misty effect is working to create a wonderful sense of depth.
I also really like the candles at the front. I don't know why but it just seems to be a great compositional device to play off the symmetry elsewhere.

I don't really have anything to post from mine. 'Tis looking a bit of a mess at the moment. Still. :(
It's looking less like Janus and more like Zaphod. And I mean 1980s Zaphod! :lol:

24 Mar 2018 00:40 #20606 by hansnomad
cgmythology: That kicks butt. With the colors a bit more saturated and the textures it really came to life.

Just a quick snapshot detail of the face so far. I should have probably waited until I did the other eye before screen capping so she wouldn't look like a zombie but, oh well.

Attachments:

24 Mar 2018 02:03 #20607 by hansnomad
WIP08: Two eyes this time (for a less zombified look), and starting to frame out the hair using a lighter color on the outside to see how a rim highlight will read.
Attachments: