March challenge - Enter here!

Deadline for entry:

February challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

CGAN March 2018 - Roman Gods - WIPs

01 Mar 2018 15:35 - 01 Mar 2018 15:35 #20387 by Banj
Roman Gods

Brief: Roman Gods, what have they ever done for us? Choose a Roman God and depict him/her/it/they in action (or just lazing about doing nothing much).

Deadline: March the 31st at midnight GMT

This is where you post your WIPs, final entries should be posted in the thread over here: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/current-...n-gods-final-entries

Challenge rules and guidelines:
challenge rules

Rules in brief:
  • All challenge entries must be your own work.
  • You should post at least two WIP images that are clearly different from your final entry and each other.
  • Your final entry should contain your image (inserted so it shows up full size) and at least two links to your WIP posts on the forum.
  • No chatter in the finals thread – if you have questions, post them in the WIP thread or PM an admin.
  • Feedback is allowed & encouraged together with the voting and in the WIP thread.
  • Deadline is given in UK time (midnight GMT) with a grace period of 5 minutes for getting the post sorted.
  • Each member may cast one vote
  • No cheating! Admins may decide to disqualify an entry that does not adhere to the above rules.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 Mar 2018 15:41 - 01 Mar 2018 17:28 #20388 by Charlotte
:giggle: I just understood where you got the challenge idea from :p

EDIT: Decided to look for ideas... This is just a simple list but my there are quite a few to choose from (and I bet this list isn't even complete): greekgodsandgoddesses.net/roman/

Looking through it also reminded me that besides my Aries/Ares/Mars pic I did some years ago I did a bunch of drawings when I was young... er... younger. Anyhey... I think I did Apollo and Hermes and Hades maybe. Can't recall. And I'm sure I've done some females too even if I can't remember them... Maybe I can get myself sketching this weekend.

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

01 Mar 2018 17:38 #20390 by Charlotte

I dunno what computer graphics have to do with jealousy, unless the competition is jealous but I thought this kind of fun anyhow... (Sure that's the original spelling, I just...clarified it a bit. a weee bit...)

Attachments:

02 Mar 2018 22:32 #20403 by hansnomad
Hey guys, what's up. It's been a while.
I poked my head in and saw the mythology challenge (can't resist a good mythology challenge). I'll try to stick with this one and finish. Think I will go with Luna.

The goddess of the Moon was called Luna by the Romans.

Luna is associated with moon magic, transformations, the psychic, and the feminine. She is a symbol of the heavenly embodiment of the moon. With Diana and Hekate, she formed a traid with Luna as the Goddess in Heaven, Diana as the Goddess on Earth, and Hekate the Goddess in the Underworld.

This should be fun.

04 Mar 2018 13:36 #20414 by cgmythology
I absolutely love this month's theme! I'm a huge fan of Greek/Roman mythology so I just jumped at the opportunity to illustrate something following this theme. I chose to depict Pluto/Hades with Prosperina/Persephone in the underworld. I spent a ton of time on the sketch, making it as refined and detailed as I possibly can, and I'm going to really push myself with this one. Below is the current progress on the sketch, will be jumping straight into colors shortly as well. Feedback is always welcome and encouraged as well :)

Attachments:

04 Mar 2018 15:23 #20415 by Valence
When I saw this month's theme my first thought was "Cgmythology won't be able to resist." :lol:
And that's an epic sketch with lots of amazing detail. I like the way you've broken the symmetry of the main figure's pose and the foreground female looks good too. It's gonna be great. :)

And I'm also a fan of hansnomad's figure work too so I'm looking forward to more wips.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cgmythology

04 Mar 2018 15:40 #20417 by Charlotte
It's a very detailed drawing already :)
If I was to suggest a change I think it's the "daise" or stairs. They look a bit like an ordinary narrow staircase right now. There's barely room for Hades on his throne and Persephone looks like she'll almost topple over and down to the next step (well, her legs might, anyway, although I get that part of that is the draped cloth). Just thinking maybe the steps should be "deeper"....?

04 Mar 2018 17:40 #20419 by cgmythology
Valence: Ha, ha!! How can I resist Greek/Roman mythology?! :D Absolutely this theme so it's gonna be a lot of fun to contribute!

Charlotte: Thank you, tried to really detail this one so I'm glad it shows through. Great input as well regarding the staircase, I'll see what I can do about that during the painting process.

I began painting in the sketch, did the flat colors on all the figures. The ghouls will be a bit tricky to paint since I want them to be semi-transparent, but we'll see how it goes. Feedback appreciated as always :)

Attachments:

05 Mar 2018 11:40 #20426 by Banj
CGMythology, you have a number of perspective problems going on.

The top step roughly follows the perspective of the floor, so that would place the horizon at approximately the top of the vase/pot on the left of the image, but each of the other steps leading up to the throne all have different vanishing points further below that.

The column on the right is also confusing. The base is perfectly flat suggesting we are looking directly at it, yet it is far below the horizon so we should be looking down at it. At the same time the top of the column that we should be looking up at (as it is above the horizon) is angled toward us. As it has something on top of it I would assume it should be horizontal, but the perspective would make it angled and the items on top of it would likely fall off.

With the eye level where it is we should be looking up at Pluto instead of straight on as you have him (it also looks like we are seeing the top of the arm rests of the throne when we should be below them).

Also, the thing hanging down from his belt between his legs is perfectly vertical and flat instead of following the curvature of his thighs which gives the legs no dimensionality or depth. I would suggest having it drape more around his legs.

Hope you don't mind me scribbling on you image to help explain what I'm talking about.
Attachments:

05 Mar 2018 21:15 #20440 by Valence
Seeing as I like drawing faces I thought I'd have a go at that two-faced chap, who I believe is called Janus, with one young face looking to the future and a miserable old one looking to the past.

I did get further with this but it went a bit wrong so I'll backtrack to here.
Attachments: