April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN March 2018 - Roman Gods - WIPs

06 Mar 2018 04:44 - 06 Mar 2018 05:29 #20441 by octoberstormxx
I did a rough sketch of Artemis, still need to straighten out that bottom arm, but we’ll see if I find the time to finish it. Hopefully, my neck will cooperate this time. xD

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 Mar 2018 13:46 #20444 by Thomgirl
I know the challenge says Roman gods, so I'm not sure if Artemis will fly being Greek. You could change her name to Diana. They represent the same thing.

06 Mar 2018 13:51 #20445 by Thomgirl
And... I'm going to put a claim down on Minerva. May or may not get something put together. Busy month as it is.

06 Mar 2018 15:01 #20447 by Charlotte
pffft you and me both lol
I started sketching Libitina and Flora but I ended up feeling it'd be too difficult for me, and also my second sketch ended up too similar to CG's Pluto and Persephone (or is it prosperpina? too many names!)

So I've started a sketch of Minerva. That said I've no idea how far I'll get on that, so please go ahead with yours Thomgirl :) Maybe one of us will manage to finish in time ;)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

06 Mar 2018 15:57 #20451 by Thomgirl

pffft you and me both lol
I started sketching Libitina and Flora but I ended up feeling it'd be too difficult for me, and also my second sketch ended up too similar to CG's Pluto and Persephone (or is it prosperpina? too many names!)

So I've started a sketch of Minerva. That said I've no idea how far I'll get on that, so please go ahead with yours Thomgirl :) Maybe one of us will manage to finish in time ;)

No qualms here on that! I've always been a Minerva/Athena fan and I'd love to see your ideas on her as well.

06 Mar 2018 16:00 #20453 by Charlotte
Likewise,
I think I did a fair few women in greecian helmet style drawings of her as a kid... :)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

06 Mar 2018 20:43 #20457 by cgmythology
Banj: Great points regarding the perspective, I think I used a different vanishing point for the stairs and forgot to fix it. I updated the sketch again to fix the perspective issues, thanks for taking the time to help me out with the perspective issues, very much appreciate it!

I reworked the sketch a bit to fix the perspective issues and continued the painting process. Pretty pleased with how the lighting is coming out even at this early stage. Having a lot of fun with this image and this month's theme! Feedback welcome as always :)

Attachments:

06 Mar 2018 22:28 #20458 by Thomgirl
Wow... you're speed of progress is quick, cgmyth! It is shaping up really well for how complex it is. That being, said, I would look into some reference images for thrones. Seeing the detail of the wall behind it is sort of making my brain register that there's no seat to it, that it's just two sides and Pluto is sort of just floating? Best way I can think to describe it. Typically such massive thrones are pretty solid all the way through, or there'd be a ton of shadow cast below to where it obscured the detailing of what was behind it. You may already be on it, I know it's early still, but thought I'd mention it.

And here's a sketch layout for my take on Minerva. Since I don't have a lot of time for doing something this month, I'll probably try and fail miserably at painting very loosely. This is as detailed as I'm getting with the drawing part.
Attachments:

07 Mar 2018 14:16 #20462 by Banj

I reworked the sketch a bit to fix the perspective issues and continued the painting process.

The steps look better now vanishing point wise, though at the moment you still have each step drawn at the same visual depth as one another when they would appear deeper as they get closer to us (assuming that the steps were built the same size in reality). This is why your steps look too narrow as Charlotte mentioned earlier, at the moment the middle step she is sitting on (Prosperina, not Charlotte) is only the width on her hand.

When you widened the steps you also created a bad tangent with the top of the middle step and the design on the floor. And it might just be me but when you extended the width of the steps it actually kind of separated them from being a series of steps into being a series of blocks leading to the throne (we don't normally expect steps to be progressively wider than each other on a typical staircase), perhaps you could extend a little from each step back down the side of the preceding step in a kind of pyramid style thing to unify it more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cgmythology

07 Mar 2018 18:17 #20464 by Thomgirl
Trying very hard to keep it loose.
Attachments: