April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN April 2017 - Warlock - WIPs

22 Apr 2017 19:55 #15923 by Valence
Micro: You have too many ideas :lol: Hope you manage to settle on one before the deadline. I like the shadowy foreground figure. Very dramatic.

Oaktree: The warm light is looking lovely so far. It reminds me a little of those candlelight pics of George De Latour. Keep it going into the background.

Mr S: I loved all those silhouettes, any one of them would make an excellent picture. But now you've made the choice I can't wait to see how you finish it off.

Atto: This is turning into something very impressive. The hair blending into the dark birds is a great idea but more importantly, it's looking very convincing too.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Apr 2017 23:53 - 22 Apr 2017 23:54 #15924 by Mr. Sabrosito
well a little bit more progress into this one, i haven´t put much time on this , and next week promises to be busy , i hope i can finish this . :S

Attachments:

23 Apr 2017 16:46 #15928 by oaktree
Another update from me
Attachments:

23 Apr 2017 20:25 #15930 by charco

Hey guys, VERY VERY long time no see. I missed monthly challenge fun, so look who came crawling back!

Here's WIP #1 for my warlock, an understated guy whose pacts with fire demons make him a poor choice of mugging victim!

I can almost guarantee I haven't attached this picture correctly XD

23 Apr 2017 20:29 - 23 Apr 2017 20:30 #15931 by Charlotte

I can almost guarantee I haven't attached this picture correctly XD

I can almost garantuee that you have ;)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

23 Apr 2017 21:17 - 23 Apr 2017 21:19 #15932 by charco
Right, I'ma jump in and do feedback-y stuff seeing as it's WIPs o'clock!

Atto- love your initial sketch, that outstretched hand is great! The newer one is great, looks really freaky and the birdhair is a great idea! The top two birds are spot on, but maybe if the bottom one was heading slight towards camera instead of away it'd match the direction he's facing more?

Valence- Neat concept, you said in the first post you weren't sure about the perspective or the colours. I think the green does look nicer. I would suggest that instead of moving the skull, that you move the edge of the door, making it wider on screen left. That'll run your eye to his face a bit more, and not run the gauntlet of tangents/lessening the read on the skull.

I'd also recommend taking the moon out of it, altogether. If you keep your focus on the warlock and prioritize your values to match it'll pack more of a punch . I've done a quick paintover to show what I mean! Hope you don't mind!
Don't worry about having sharp edges everywhere, just put them where you need people to look. if you render every brick, people will be exhausted visually.

Mr Sabrosito- nice apocalyptic take :) Think the composition is ace as is the designs, but I'm worried that with such a red base you might have trouble getting your fire to look hot. Maybe if your underpainting was desaturated a tiny bit, you could pick little moments for higher saturation to get the fire really piping :D The inking on that vest is really great by the way, I literally went 'OOoh!' when I saw it!

Oaktree- this has a really great vibe to it! I love the falloff of intensity with the candle on the hand, but I think the face might be getting it a little strong as a result. Is that a shadow falling on the page beneath or the beginnings of a glow? For a clearer read, I'd leave it out, and maybe cool down the shadowy parts on the pageturning hand to offset against the candle.

If this is too much, let me know and I'll shut up!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Valence

23 Apr 2017 23:17 - 23 Apr 2017 23:19 #15933 by Valence
No, don't shut up, Charco. Not EVER!!
Especially after such good feedback! :)

That pic looks so much better without the moon. I've been wondering why the brighter values haven't been working for me and now you've pointed it out, I'm certain that this is the reason. It really does simplify the focus and improve the readability of the image. I shall experiment tomorrow! Thank you!

Great wip from you too! The glow of the demon at the back is already looking interesting. I like the way the warlock's head "fits" into the fiery shape of the mouth giving him a magical halo. It really draws you to the character and expresses his importance and power.

24 Apr 2017 18:13 #15939 by charco
Here's a quick colour thumbnail so I know where I'm going :)

Also trying to attach images directly, LET'S SEE IF THIS WORKS!

Attachments:

24 Apr 2017 20:27 - 24 Apr 2017 20:48 #15940 by charco
EDIT: OK, NOW I'm stopping for the night! Think I need to have a very visually busy demon to counter the passive warlock. Hmm, lots to do. 6ish days to do it!
Attachments:

24 Apr 2017 20:52 #15941 by Valence
That's a cardinal sin??
Oh well, that's another thing to go on my long (looong) list of bad habits. :lol:

Good progress there, Charco. The colours are looking really vibrant and I love the little purple accents around the demon.