May challenge - Alien excavation

Deadline for entry:

April challenge Voting open!

CGAN July 2014 Challenge - The Big Ad Job - WIPs

12 Jul 2014 07:56 #2231 by Stuart
Looking good. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 Jul 2014 14:41 - 12 Jul 2014 14:41 #2264 by Domtopia
The eyes are creepy in this piece Cherry. They are quite human looking.

Looking forward to seeing where you will take this.

Micro: The banner format looks great. A wise set of colour choices too. Keep it up!

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!

12 Jul 2014 15:04 #2271 by microscopi
Thanks Dom :cheer: I'm having trouble making sharp details so I thought making this would help.

Cherry that's looking really vibrant ! I agree with Dom the eyes are a little too human, can't wait to see more :lol: .
Sorry about the name change, but you'll get used to it lol

12 Jul 2014 15:16 #2275 by Domtopia
Oh, I quite like the brush texture that you have used in this piece Micro. I think that you have hit upon a good thing!

I really like the way the banner format allows for story telling, with going from warm to cool colours like that. Plus, the natural (in the west at least) way of reading from left to right is ideal to draw the eye in this image.

12 Jul 2014 15:42 #2287 by Stuart
I'll second that. :)

12 Jul 2014 20:25 - 12 Jul 2014 20:27 #2366 by Domtopia
Bit of progress. Finding it tricky to paint the green skin.

Attachment cg1copy.jpg not found

What do you guys reckon, is the image going in the right direction?

Attachments:

12 Jul 2014 20:44 #2372 by ClaudeCrow
Is the Orc meant to be dressed up as Santa Claus?? Because I'm totally getting that look from him, just needs a nice big fake beard!

Other than the random Christmas vibes I think it's coming along quite nicely. Perhaps her hair is a little large for her head at the moment but see what others have to say about that since it could just be the hair direction.

I actually think the green skin is looking really good, I'd say now it's better than the girl's. Hers is a little muddy at the moment, at least in the shadows but I'm sure it'll turn out great as you push it further along.

12 Jul 2014 21:39 #2387 by Digital Dave
Have to admit, I thought the same as Claude about the Santa look as soon as I looked at it. But also agree it's looking quite nice. ... You probably haven't gotten to it yet, but it would be nice to see the darker BG behind the lettering either blend into the surrounding colors, or at least run it off the sides completely, so there is a break between the two.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

12 Jul 2014 22:10 #2391 by ClaudeCrow
Hope you don't mind but I thought I'd do a rough paint over to have a go with the hair . It became a slightly less rough paint over however when my mother decided to pop up and help point out things and stuff, so consider the changes made a dual critique and take what tweaks you like, if any, on board :)

Mainly did a bit of face rearranging, could be more down to personal taste; altered the shadow colours and generally reduced; significant hair removal and a head size increase. Oh and a bit of arm reduction..

Also my mother felt the orc was a bit green ...but I'd tend to disagree.

Attachments:

12 Jul 2014 22:19 #2392 by Digital Dave
Actually, looking at it again, her right forearm (our left) looks a little rubbery at the moment. And have to say I kind-of liked her unkempt, wilder hair, though it could be knocked down just a tad.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D