May challenge - Alien excavation

Deadline for entry:

April challenge Voting open!

CGAN Jan 2015 Challenge - White as Snow - WIPs

20 Jan 2015 20:08 #8231 by Thomgirl
Ah... you guys are killing me here... I'm already backed up but... I'm really inspired by this topic and everyone's works! While the kiddo naps I'll see what I can throw in, nothing serious though, just love the topic! I think having a kid is teaching me how to speed paint or at least draw...

Great WIPS though! And I completely agree with the boob comment... boobs = top contenders. And robots... and dragons... I've joked with my husband that I need to do a TnA robot dragon some time to cover all the bases and ensure I win something ;-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Jan 2015 22:43 #8234 by microscopi

I've joked with my husband that I need to do a TnA robot dragon some time to cover all the bases and ensure I win something ;-)

LMAO :lol:

21 Jan 2015 05:18 - 21 Jan 2015 05:20 #8237 by Thomgirl
Sort of a spirit totem animal take on the idea, we'll see where it goes. Of course, it had to be horses!

Attachments:

21 Jan 2015 07:50 #8240 by Charlotte
Glad to see you join in Thomgirl! and it's looking lovely already!

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

21 Jan 2015 08:01 - 21 Jan 2015 08:05 #8241 by Kodabble
This challenge is going nicely. Good to see this many entries, and hope to see more.
Fisrt: Dom, I had a similar idea to your initial one but yours was even cleaner. :silly: Here was mine,
TITLED: Polar Bear eating marshmallows in a snow storm with his eyes closed. :side: (Just the nose) :lol:

Dom: On your real entry great ice army. Only comment is Elsa’s legs look odd at the moment. Looking at your first couple wips her legs seem to have a more dynamic feel to them.
SchizophreniaWolf: Like the Joker smiling fairy. Looking forward to the final work.
Mindbender: Nice winter scene. Only suggestion would be to make the mountains lighter/whiter push them futher back and separate them more from the foreground.
Oaktree: This is a different take on the theme. That is a really lovely snow background, though I usually picture the scenes in Snow White as dark and gloomy.
CherryGraphics: Cool idea. Love the way this is going. Keep it going.
Microscopi: like the storyline and the layout of the image. My concern is the lighting. It has a cold feel not a spring warming color. I’m not sure how to bring that across. But the snow in the foreground would probably need to be much brighter to give a glare from the brightness of this light.
Valence: Well in spite of your do overs she is coming long nicely, keep going. Like the focus on the eyes. The only crit I would have has already been mentioned on the head size so keep going.
Thomgirl: Love the horse in the snow. Of course to give it a fantasy feel you could make it a unicorn.
OK now for my attempt. I thought of a sort of Elsa type of fairy (Dom-Schizo) that can create snowflakes with her breath. So here is my first WIP.
Attachments:

21 Jan 2015 16:42 #8249 by Charlotte
and Kodabble has joined in too! :woohoo:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

21 Jan 2015 17:16 #8253 by Thomgirl
Love the sketch Kodabble! I'm looking to do some changes to the horse to make it more fantastical. We'll see what time allows!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kodabble

21 Jan 2015 19:28 - 21 Jan 2015 19:29 #8254 by Valence
oaktree: I agree with Cherry's comment. Your pic does look like a frame from a film, and it's a film I want to see the ending of. :) The face expresses a real potential for some kind of action as if he's thinking over an important decision.

micro: I like that distant glare. It now connects really well with the shadow of the little character stretching out across the ground, linking them both in the image and in your mind.

Thomgirl: That's a great diagonal composition that works well with the image and as a bold abstract shape too. The horse is beautifully drawn as always and the swirling shapes of the mane and of the kicked-up snow create lovely subtle paths for your eye to follow.

Kodabble: Great detailed character with good expression and action; instantly understandable. I very much like your snowflake shapes, and I say that as someone who has just spent the last half hour trying (?) desperately to draw snowflake shapes!

22 Jan 2015 00:45 #8265 by Digital Dave
Some very nice images coming along here. Look forward to seeing them completed. :)

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

22 Jan 2015 12:18 #8276 by Domtopia
Look at all the new entries!!

Great to see so many getting stuck in!

Val: This is shaping up nicely. Not sure why she is exposing herself though! I think the painting is going really well, so keep up the good work. Depending on what you want the story behind her to be, you could either keep her looking rather sullen, or you could turn the corners of her mouth up a bit and make her look a bit mischievous. If you are going to bare her chest then that might even give it a greater impact.

The brief has created its own colour pallet for this challenge. I think it has produced a rather interesting result.

T-Girl: Lovely to see you again! Always a pleasure to see your work too! As always, there is a bold and dynamic look to your piece. The horse looks great! Let's see some more!

Kod: Snooze you loose dude!! My "white" piece was just too good!! ... Seriously though, I am a big fan of your line work. Loving the concept thus far. Keep it up!

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!