May challenge - Alien excavation

Deadline for entry:

April challenge Voting open!

CGAN Jan 2015 Challenge - White as Snow - WIPs

25 Jan 2015 12:14 #8371 by CherryGraphics
wow. thanks Valence! :D I thought it could be nice to have the icy dragon with still a bit of life inside his frozen breath. :lol:

nice update kodabble :) I'm really curious how your picture will be as the final one. :woohoo: her snowflake-wings are really special. :)

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kodabble

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

25 Jan 2015 14:10 #8375 by Digital Dave
These images are all coming along nicely. They all have a nice wintery feel to them, which fits well with the current weather. :)

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

25 Jan 2015 19:56 - 25 Jan 2015 19:57 #8385 by oaktree
A quick update from me but not sure if I will go this way.
Thank you all for the comments.

Attachments:

26 Jan 2015 05:58 #8394 by microscopi
Took all the feedback and tried to use it, I think this is going to be my final update before I submit, just going to work on my character more.

Cherry I think it says about me that I hate winter and want spring to get here! Yours is coming along great, the fire and ice concept is really interesting and looks awesome in your pic.
Thomgirl really liking the design, looking great so far, look forward to seeing it when its all done.
Kodabble looking awesome, really like the new update, the color and shading are looking great so far, I tried to make the background feel warmer and made the lighting brigher for the glare as suggested, but its hard to mix the snow and plants on in the middle foreground.
Valence, thanks for comments, I need to make a new detailed character, thinking so lost guy with a walking stick and a cloak, just have a doodle there now for and idea.
Schizo, looking really creepy and awesome, nice details, really like the texture on the wings.
Oaktree, I really like the addition of the arrows and the more detailed texture face looks really great, the background really makes the character stand out, its really well done.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kodabble

26 Jan 2015 07:27 #8399 by Charlotte
oaktree, I have a thought you might wanna try: If you put the snowflakes layer behind the huntsman and then just add a few very large blurry flakes in front of him it might add depth the the image?

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

26 Jan 2015 15:07 - 26 Jan 2015 15:08 #8410 by Domtopia
I agree with Charlotte, plus if you would like to bring the character into the environment, you will need to put snow flakes over his face too. Imagine the light bouncing off the snow and lighting his face too and that will give you a better idea of how the surrounding light will affect him. Keep it coming Oak!

I like your Mic. It has a very eye catching combination of colours and the contrasts in the foreground work well. Why are your pieces always so solitary? The character in the piece is so alone!!

I have made the changes recommended. How does it read now? What about the legs of Elsa? Also, should I paint in some atmospherics, like snow flakes in the wind? I am undecided at he moment.

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!
Attachments:

26 Jan 2015 19:28 #8416 by Valence
Oaktree: The little apple motif is a great idea and offers an explanation and context to the character, however the high contrast and sharpness make it dominate over the rest of the image. If you tone it down a little it'll then be a nice subtle thing for people to spot (like an easter egg) rather than the first thing they notice.

microscopi: Wow that's a dramatic change! I love the way you have no fear about altering the composition even late on in the development. I'd be terrified of doing that, once I start painting something I usually find that I'm stuck "on rails" until I get to the end, even when I know the destination is a bad one. :) Terrific texture in those trees, and the two blue tones work well together, really vibrant.

Dom: Those are good corrections you've made, the iceman's arm looks much easier on the eye now. I think a shadow under Elsa would also go down well, at the moment there's a similarity in value between her feet and the ground.
I think some atmospheric effects would give a bit more aerial perspective to the image, whether as snow or as a mist. Currently some of the most distant parts of the image are actually the darkest and that one at the top right hand corner seems to push itself forward fighting for your attention when really you want to be looking at Elsa and her army.

26 Jan 2015 22:03 #8429 by Domtopia

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!
Attachments:

26 Jan 2015 23:25 #8435 by microscopi
Hey Dom, hope you don't mind just played with your pic a little added more color and darker value to the guys to see what it would look like.

Attachments:

27 Jan 2015 06:45 #8438 by CherryGraphics
Oh great update micro! It looks just great now! Spring behind the (really fascinating) gate is much better focused now. But like Dom said - poor little man standing alone there. :ohmy: :lol:

Dom maybe my screen at work isn't the best ... I tried to figure out what the changes are between your last two posts .. I scrolled up and down like I would at one of those "find the faults" - pieces :D - but I didn't find anything. o.O :D But I really like your last update - Elsa is wonderful and the icy soldiers are appear strong and powerful.

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance