April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN Jan 2015 Challenge - White as Snow - WIPs

10 Jan 2015 18:14 #8090 by Mindbender
Great ideas and WiPs here guys. Fun to see all different pieces.

Here's todays update of my icy enviro (no character added so far, Micro)

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 Jan 2015 18:18 #8091 by Domtopia
Looks good, but I would like to see it develop a bit more before giving criticism.

What's the app you are using?

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!

10 Jan 2015 22:07 - 10 Jan 2015 22:17 #8094 by microscopi
Dom, liking all the poses, you should get different values for each of the guys and make the ones in the background lighter and forground darker. I think Elsa should be pushed back more either by making her lighter too or by making her smaller to develop more scale between her and the army also the army guys should be scaled more and spaced apart, looking great keep going!

Mindbender, I think you should start adding color to yours, mountains different color to separate from the structure and trees to the right also make the trees path in the forground darker and background like trees and mountains a bit lighter.

Here's where I am with mine, trying to make everything solid looking and flipped it horizontally liked the look better, its still just rough but I think i'm going in a good direction.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mindbender

11 Jan 2015 01:10 #8096 by Valence
Good to see everyone getting stuck in with this one.

Dom: Nice idea you've got going there, mashups of contrasting characters are always good fun. As micro suggested it'd be good to separate some of the icemen a little, either through tweaking values or adding an icy mist between them. There's a lot of complexity in all those poses and although they all look great when I click on the picture and view the detail it is quite hard to read the image as a thumbnail. Keep zooming out now and again while you're painting and it should help you to keep control of all the silhouettes. (Aside: my autopredict keyboard wants to change icemen to cement?! Glad I spotted that otherwise my comment would have been surreal gibberish.)

Mindbender: Lovely cold colours there and a nice composition to lead your eye into the image. I also like the way the forms all have the suggestion of a kind of crystalline shape, emphasizing the solid, icy mood.

Schizo: Great figure work, as always. Accurate pose and anatomy and a nice sinister design. There's a slight asymmetry to the face but I know from previous challenges that you'll make it work just fine.

Microscopi: Epic and ominous. There are some great imposing designs in your composition and I look forward to seeing you shape them with detail. The shadows dominate the image at the moment which contrasts with the "White" theme of the challenge so perhaps a softer midtone transition might add to the mood.

11 Jan 2015 16:15 - 11 Jan 2015 16:16 #8104 by Domtopia
Thanks for the help guys. I will get to some of them during the final stages of the work, especially the separating and snow effects.

I have given Elsa a go. Pushing her back is a good idea, so thanks Mic!

Here's the update.

Oh, and Btw, I really like the solitude and isolation in yours Mic. Keep it up. It has good storytelling tension in it.

Attachments:

11 Jan 2015 16:30 - 11 Jan 2015 16:32 #8110 by Mindbender
Thanks for feedback. Great for referential purposes that we here in Sweden have been covered in snow the last 24 h. :lol:

Thanks for feedback. I use an ipad for this one, drawing in ArtRage using a stylus. Here's another WIP, added birds for scale, switched placement of some values and added Hints of red for focus and effect.

Attachments:

11 Jan 2015 20:54 #8112 by Domtopia
The red is perfect!

I really like the texture too. Good work so far!

12 Jan 2015 01:03 #8113 by microscopi
The red is really making it come together Mindbender, you can see the focus really good now, keep going !
Dom Elsa is looking really good, the army guys look great too, although if you made the canvas taller and moved Elsa up and the army down a bit then would put some distance between them and show more scale, also the different guys should be smaller the further back they are. Looking good keep it up!
Schizo, looking forward to your next update!! Thanks for comments on mine, Valence I hope when I put some color down it looks more snowy, with icy rocks etc..

12 Jan 2015 19:33 #8124 by oaktree
Good start all thought I would join in on this one
Just to explain where the sketch is coming from and where it could be going. My mind keeps saying the challenge is Snow White so I though the huntsman from SW and the Huntsman and make him dark and hard but with a character whiter than snow.

Attachments:

14 Jan 2015 23:22 #8157 by microscopi
Welcome to the challenge Oak! :woohoo:

Great idea, like the first sketch you have going, he has that crazy look in his eye :unsure: , sounds like you can create a cool contrast between light and dark with your pic.