April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN Oct 2014 Challenge - Dead of Night - WIPs

27 Oct 2014 08:23 #6856 by Katie
Well i'm a bit of a surrealist and i do love Mark Ryden's work. so this is mainly the sort of stuff i do.

Thank's for the feedback and don't worry the composition worked out, there's gonna be more characters in the picture who are gonna be at the front, this is just the first one i drew , if anything when it is finished he'll be the one you look at last.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Oct 2014 16:10 #6857 by Valence
Katie: Two things I wanted to put in my previous post but had to cut short (was furiously trying to type on my tablet during the ads of Homeland but my fat fingers failed me!)
1: I like the sinuous flowing design of the tree, it's nicely stylized and recognisable in pattern and texture and looks creepily alive.
2: The other thing that stood out is the stump area that the characters are standing on mirrors the shape of the girl's headless neck. This repetition of what people call "design motifs" is something that professionals and art teachers drone on about all the time, so it's great to see someone using these concepts so naturally at such an early stage of the sketch! Well done.

27 Oct 2014 22:25 #6872 by Katie
Oh wow thanks, and I didn't really notice the similarities of the neck and the stump, I never knew that was a thing, but thanks for pointing it out to me. I may think about more conciously in the future.

28 Oct 2014 07:28 #6874 by SchizophreniaWolf
Hello all!
Haa Valence, you are right. It is a little bit too ambitious. All those figures, but its fun.
microscopi, also thanks to you, I'll try not to disappoint!

design, composition, Light... wip

Attachments:

28 Oct 2014 18:28 - 28 Oct 2014 18:28 #6882 by microscopi
Hey Katie welcome to the challenge, looking great so far, interesting subject matter.

Wolf that's looking really great :woohoo: , if you hurry you can still finish on time!

This is my last update till i'm posting, I think my zombies need more work hard to paint them all from that angle.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Katie

28 Oct 2014 19:30 #6885 by Valence
Schizo: Amazing! There seems to be even more figures! I don't know how you even do something on that scale. :ohmy:

Micro: Nice to see that blood red colour slopping about. Get into the gory spirit of it all!
But don't let that detail in the moon get too dark. You still want a bit of glare even if it is just reflected light.

29 Oct 2014 21:17 #6891 by Katie
Right, this has come on a bit more, just need to add a few more smaller characters and creatures. then colour and lighting and
so on…..
Attachments:

30 Oct 2014 08:43 #6892 by SchizophreniaWolf

Right, this has come on a bit more, just need to add a few more smaller characters and creatures. then colour and lighting and
so on…..

Yes really like the position and the expression of the rabbit (I hope its a rabbit :) , the nose looks more like its from an antilop ) but the shape of the head is a bit off, looks bumpy, unless you really like it this way. I couldn't resist trying something, frankly, I would hate it if somebody did it with one of my drawings lol, if you hate it too, then i'm sorry, wont do it again.

Attachments:

30 Oct 2014 18:49 #6896 by Katie
Hey it's fine, i was a little freaked out that you did that, but it's alright.
Generally whenever I draw a character or anything i'll use references as a loose guide, and then experiment with shape and what not. With the rabbits head i did do other versions that were rounder in shape, but i wanted him to look slightly menacing , and i kinda felt that giving him prominent almost skeletle jawline was giving this effect. I like it, but it is always helpful to get another's perspective.

31 Oct 2014 08:23 #6897 by Charlotte
Last day of the challenge! Deadline for final entries is midnight (UK time) tonight!

Wolf and Katie, I'd just like to say that paintovers do happen in these forums :) They're usually considered very helpful and sometimes drawing on top of someone elses image is the easiest way of showing what one means with whatever feedback one is offering. So no need to get freaked out - it's only suggestions and only meant to be helpful, and when you don't agree you can choose to disregard the suggestions entirely :)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.