April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN Oct 2014 Challenge - Dead of Night - WIPs

21 Oct 2014 20:18 #6766 by CherryGraphics
Thanks Valence :) Yeah I really wish I could say I would have thought about every point of yours even now - but I didn't think about the point with the purple doll :) But I think at the end I'll take a look at every thing to fix the light / shadow faults. The matchbox will of course be darker :) Otherwise... the baby doll is so cute ... maybe I wanted to draw your eye especially at that place. :lol: :silly:

Thank u so much :) And yes - I love your comment about the bird. :D

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Oct 2014 11:19 #6778 by Valence
I wouldn't worry too much about the purple doll, it's just something to think about and keep an eye on as the image progresses.
You have a very distinctive colourful style and it'd be a shame to lose it by fretting about lighting.
Just keep working and see how it develops. :)

22 Oct 2014 11:24 #6780 by Digital Dave
Some very cool work going on for this challenge. :)

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

22 Oct 2014 18:13 #6789 by Valence
Quick update: Just adding a little more detail.
I quite like the stillness of it at the moment but despite that I am going to add in some wandering undead emerging out of that distant mist. I also like micro's suggestion of maybe a zombie hand bursting out of the grass in the foreground. But I'm really not good at drawing hands so I'll see how I feel later.
Also I want to close-in the image a bit more. There seems to be a bit too much space in that middle ground, too many ways to escape. I'm thinking about some spooky trees both right and left trapping you in with the horde. I also wanted some kind of fence or railings to crop off the bottom right corner but my first experiment with that was a disaster so I may need to reconsider.

Attachments:

23 Oct 2014 05:12 - 23 Oct 2014 05:23 #6799 by microscopi
That is looking awesome Valence ! Just oozing atmosphere now.
I don't think you should add so many elements, sometimes less is more and it really is strong how it is.

Cherry, really looks awesome now, the dark background with the moon really brings out the scarecrow and dolls, lighting is really cool, only suggestion I would make is the ground, it looks flat, needs some bump texture or some noise to make it look more 3D, you always have really vibrant colors in your artwork, I like that, its your signature style.

23 Oct 2014 05:51 #6800 by CherryGraphics
Thanks micro :) Yeah I think I've got a little preference for vibrant, strong colors. Even in my new apartment ... The living room will be painted in petrol blue. :D
The floor is just at the beginning to have something there at first. :D Thanks for your tip :)

Awesome update valence *_* your color choice is remarkable and even when I know that there aren't any zombies yet - my eyes scurry from left to right to left in fear to find the danger. :D

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance

23 Oct 2014 06:59 - 23 Oct 2014 07:00 #6801 by SchizophreniaWolf
WIP 02

more zombies, more horsemen, ...
more work :)

Attachments:

23 Oct 2014 18:22 - 23 Oct 2014 19:20 #6819 by Valence
Wow Schizo!
That's scary in two ways:
First there's the terror of skull-faced horseman rounding up zombies.
And second there the idea of just having to draw so many figures (and horses?!?) in one picture ... which is terrifying!!
That's just SO ambitious. And it looks like you're going to pull it off too.
SchizophreniaWolf... I salute you.

I won't post my WIP cos it hasn't changed too much, but I have drawn my distant undead (which I'm pleased with) and some spooky trees (which sadly are nowhere near as good as the ones in Linasue's and micro's pictures.)
Also I've drawn a hand but it's hard to make it look like it's bursting out of the ground. It currently just looks like a broken bit of a mannequin's arm that's just been placed on the grass. Hmm :? It's on another layer so I can just delete it without too much damage but I'll keep on playing with it for now.

24 Oct 2014 05:23 #6822 by microscopi
Looking awesome Wolf, I agree with Valence, that's quite an undertaking but the initial stages are looking great! Everything is really drawn well, got some amazing line work going on, I think if you stick to 2d you should have no problem finishing, I hope you do cause I want to see it finished :woohoo:

24 Oct 2014 18:10 #6826 by Valence
I'm very close to finishing this now.
The undead are in.
The trees are in (even if they do look like cardboard cutouts!)
Added a little more detail to the foreground grass and reversed the cross gravestone in the background. It previously leaned at exactly the same angle as the main one in the foreground and once you noticed it it looked very silly indeed.

And ... the hand is in ... for the moment. It sort of looks like a hand and it now sort of looks like it's coming out of the ground but... but.... I'm just not sure about it.
Pros: It gives you another thing to focus on and perhaps adds a bit of narrative.
Cons: The atmosphere seems a little better when all the dead are further away and approaching. The stillness and anticipation of approaching zombies seems more scary than the fact of one bursting out of the ground at your feet.
So I'm not sure. I'll think on it over the weekend and make a decision on Monday (or later if I want to be petulant.)
I'm also not quite convinced by that lower right hand sight of the image. It feels like it needs something there but I don't really know what and it's a bit too late to be making big compositional changes now. Or maybe that's just me being lazy!

Attachments: