May challenge - Alien excavation

Deadline for entry:

April challenge Voting open!

Charlotte's Works

03 Oct 2021 11:36 - 03 Oct 2021 11:57 #36999 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Charlotte's Works
I really don't post much in here, do I? :dry: (No need to answer that...)Anyway I did fiddle some more with my recent rage challenge entry. I think it's more like what I wanted, now but I'm still not sure about those streaky things. (At least maybe it looks more "battle-ish" now, rather than "prison-ish"?)

and for comparison, the actual challenge entry:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 Oct 2021 11:37 - 03 Oct 2021 11:55 #37000 by Charlotte
aaaaand somehow he looks less angry? :S

EDIT: Did a slight change to the eyes. I think this might have to do, unless someone can give me a pointer with regards to the "light streaks" and they can be easily fixed...

EDIT2: aaaand I changed it a wee bit more. As always. 

03 Oct 2021 11:56 #37002 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Charlotte's Works
I think in the new version the streak in front adds a little too much red across the body and that seems to tone down the tension that the darker shading brings to the chest. Perhaps that's why he seems less angry? :hmm:

03 Oct 2021 12:04 #37003 by Charlotte
and I changed it a wee bit more.

Hello Val :) Maybe you're right... I thought it was mostly the face, but the red does reduce the tension in the body I guess. And now I think the around around his groin is just too flat and uniform. *sigh*

03 Oct 2021 12:16 - 03 Oct 2021 12:18 #37005 by Valence
I think the original does have a stronger silhouette with the darker chest but I do see what you mean about it being "prisonish".
Perhaps it might look better if you increased the perspective angles on the original lights, making them narrower and closer at the top and wider at the bottom, then they would radiate out towards the viewer in a way that didn't look like vertical bars. :shrug:

Edit: but I do agree that that the new version looks more like a battle with more action and dynamism to it. :aha:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Charlotte

03 Oct 2021 18:19 #37008 by Digital Dave
Replied by Digital Dave on topic Charlotte's Works
Agree that I like the newer lines too, as they don't look as symmetrical as the originals. Gives it a bit more action, as well as randomness, but I too can see the battle feel to it too. Whether being shot at from off-screen, or just in the mist of the battle. So it does add to the image.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D
The following user(s) said Thank You: Charlotte

03 Dec 2021 12:26 #38257 by Charlotte
Hmm, I posted that angry demonvamp on Instagram so I guess I finished it? 

Currently struggling to make myself paint a christmas card that should preferably be finished yesterday so I have time to have it printed and sent out and well, it's not going too well. I did the birdie two days ago, nothing yesterday and the stalks and leaves today... Nowhere near done on the flowers and the background is just a placeholder (the default white just makes it hard to see what I'm doing) and there should be snow. On the flowers too... Hopefully. 

I wasn't planning to show it half done but I think I'll post it anyway and ask for any feedback and advice you guys might have. 

Attachments:

03 Dec 2021 12:59 #38259 by Valence
That looks lovely so far. The birdie is fantastic.
The background does look a little harsh next to the paler parts of the flowers. Even though it's a placeholder I'd probably tweak the brightness just to make it easier to work on shading the petals.
I think that central stem does go a little fat in the middle so a little more tapering there would help.

03 Dec 2021 14:24 #38264 by Charlotte
Thank you. I'll probably tweak the place holder bg when I feel the need for it... It worked well when working on the leaves. And for the record, the thickening of the stem is from the ref.... But maybe I need to work on making it more obviously intentional :P

04 Dec 2021 10:53 #38293 by Charlotte
Right. I did a rather sloppy job on the background, but at least it's not just one flat colour.... I think it's done but if there's something I should change/fix before ordering printed copies please give me a shout (today.... I have to order copies this weekend)

Attachments: