April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

GixGidea's Sketchbook

22 Jul 2014 00:00 #3780 by bergy68
Replied by bergy68 on topic GixGidea's Sketchbook

Ink is so permanent, so I shy away from it after I have been working on a sketch. :unsure:

I can understand the fear of inking a drawing you did that you loved. What I'd suggest is to ink one you don't like as much or make a photocopy of the one you love or scan it that way you have the pencil work saved.
There are two things to inking. The 1st is training your hand to be steady. The 2nd one is your line work. You see this in your penciling style.
Way way back in the day I sent in some samples of my inks to Marvel Comics. To my delight I received a reply back from the Submissions Editor at the time. Jim Shooter. This is what he told me. "Michael your work shows lots of promise but you're not quite ready for work yet. Remember some of the best inkers are also capable pencilers. Keep practicing at your penciling skills and your inking will improve as well." So I did both.
I guess what I'm trying to say is don't shy away from either. Accidents will happen. Inking can sometimes be messy. But sometimes wonderful mistakes happen and you discover something new.

I hope some of that helps take away some of that shyness.

All the best
Mikey

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Jul 2014 13:35 #3816 by gixgidea
Replied by gixgidea on topic GixGidea's Sketchbook
Bergy,
I do want to say that I really appreciate the feedback as well as your stories of struggle.

I'm working on something that I'm going to try to "finish" before the weekend. So I definitely be looking for feedback on this one.

22 Jul 2014 16:48 #3847 by evilrobot
Replied by evilrobot on topic GixGidea's Sketchbook
Looking good Gix ;) your stuff actually reminds me of the early Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles stuff...that was back when that comic was actually good. Nice work man keep it up.

22 Jul 2014 17:27 #3855 by Domtopia
Replied by Domtopia on topic GixGidea's Sketchbook
I think it looks like 2000AD stuff. I always like the black and white work in those comics. Especially the ABC warriors. I see a lot of that in these drawings.

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!

22 Jul 2014 22:42 #3872 by bergy68
Replied by bergy68 on topic GixGidea's Sketchbook
Can't wait to see what your hiding up your sleeve Gix..
I should have some new stuff up tonight as well.

23 Jul 2014 02:27 #3878 by gixgidea
Thanks guys. I appreciate the kind words.
I didn't get much done today with regards to art. . The baby didn't sleep well last night and I needed to work around the house. I do have an outline for my little project though.

24 Jul 2014 20:54 - 24 Jul 2014 20:59 #4103 by gixgidea
I haven't been able to get much done in the way of art the last couple days. My wife went out of town for work, but on the bright side I've been working with my kids teaching them to ride their bikes.

I couldn't get the video to post or link.
:angry:

24 Jul 2014 21:27 #4106 by Digital Dave
Replied by Digital Dave on topic GixGidea's Sketchbook
Not sure they can be, Gix? Think I recall reading that someone else has also tried to load up a vid. Not sure if it was a link, or what, just know they mentioned they couldn't get it to work. ... Banj would know, if you shoot him a PM. If he doesn't see this post first.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

24 Jul 2014 21:33 #4108 by gixgidea
It's all good and not worth bothering Banj over. I'm just sharing what's going on in my world and one of the reasons I've been rather silent on the art end for a couple of days.

But on my Instagram feed I say "I'm a parent and husband first." (Sure I'd like to be an artist too)

27 Jul 2014 23:32 #4334 by gixgidea
Here's some inking and character practice I did today on some images that I was going to abandon.
Attachments: