July/August challenge - Mech Fauna

Deadline for entry:

June challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

Gaming

11 Jun 2024 10:09 - 11 Jun 2024 10:13 #50573 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Gaming
Actually following a tutorial I have actually managed a very simple interior in CK. Will do the "homework" and "extra credit" bits later. I'm deviating somewhat from the tutorial but not in what matters. Figured I'd better try to follow one to actually learn something instead of just jump right in and muck up my entire game :dry:

Apparently the most recent CK is changing mod file headers into something that only the very latest game version can read or some such (and apparently GOG is not it?) - Anyway, it was easily fixed in SSEedit. I'm feeling almost computer literate today :woohoo:

Edit: I am, however, not sure why snap to grid should be set to "16" (not sure of 16 what either... mm? quarter inches? molecules?) but it doesn't seem to make (all) the pieces align perfectly when snapping. Perhaps it is still the closest? With that counter thing I think I had to move pieces something .5 or so, so maybe the snap to grid should be 15.5 or something other entirely illogical... :shrug: 

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Jun 2024 11:13 #50574 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Gaming
Computers like numbers that are powers of two so that's why you often see 16, 32, 64 etc. Which makes it even more odd if 15.5 worked for you. :blink:
:dunno:

11 Jun 2024 11:27 #50575 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Gaming
The actual measurements (roughly) are listed here: ck.uesp.net/wiki/Unit

11 Jun 2024 14:41 #50576 by Banj
Attachments:

11 Jun 2024 14:48 #50577 by Valence
You'll finish it before the end of the day and then start teasing me with spoilery screenshots. :dry:

11 Jun 2024 14:50 #50578 by Banj
I'll have to finish it quickly, I only have it for a month 

11 Jun 2024 15:21 #50579 by Charlotte
Well, I think the console units are cm, though I'm not entirely certain. But that would perhaps explain why I need to use .5 sometimes...

Still I wonder if a snap to grid of 8 would mean less overlap? :hmm: It's weird though, it's only the first and second piece that seem to get one of those flickering lines (which seems to be a few cm wide) - the other parts seemed to work fine. And then I accidentally moved the pieces without the snap to grid and that actually seemed to look even better *cough*

Well anyway, it's just a tutorial.

11 Jun 2024 15:49 - 11 Jun 2024 15:51 #50580 by Valence
Does the flickering/overlap happen in the game too or is it just in the creation kit render window?

Edit: Yes, I said "flickering". Had to edit that typo quickly. :blush:

11 Jun 2024 16:35 #50581 by Charlotte
Both (and I do see it in the game too - I mean not just my own mod and while I can't swear to it, I think it happens in the base game too sometimes, not just in mods in general...)

11 Jun 2024 16:44 #50582 by Valence
The only time I recall seeing it was when we were messing with the console commands to position items. :shrug: