May challenge - Alien excavation

Deadline for entry:

April challenge Voting open!

Finished Art of Roz

26 Aug 2014 12:01 - 26 Aug 2014 12:03 #5618 by roz
Replied by roz on topic Finished Art of Roz
That's actually the second time I've added textures to a painting so it's all kinda new.

For the coat in particular I only used the simple round brush. First I established the main color, highlights and shadows with a solid color in order to give it the shape I was after. At that point I wasn't going to texture it, but later on it seemed like a good idea. I covered the whole coat with tiny spots, using only the default brush and then multiplied the layer, colored it darker, then applied some blur and moved it a little. Where needed I repeated some of the steps. I'm actually pretty fond of the way it turned out.

For other elements of the painting, such as the hat, the skin, the bird and the sea, I created my own brushes. I am not a fan of using pre-made anything, so I just had to make some :) But they're definitely nothing fancy - just a bunch of dots grouped in various ways and that's about everything to it.

I also finally utilized the brush tip options :blush:

I just like to be able to paint everything on my own even though it consumes SO much time. But when I textured the had and the bird and saw the beautiful (in my opinion, of course) results, I was hooked. There was no way I was going to use a ready made texture.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Aug 2014 12:08 - 27 Aug 2014 12:08 #5638 by Digital Dave
Replied by Digital Dave on topic Finished Art of Roz
Yeah, the only reason I ask is that the coat has the feel of a texture overlay, but the rest doesn't. And I agree, I don't use them much myself, like you, preferring to paint everything in. Sure, though it gets tedious at times, it's also loads of fun and is what I enjoy most. Especially when it comes to trees, rocks, dirt, etc. :)

One crit on your pic, and didn't see it when first viewed, but you might want to look at adding some darker shadows where the birds feet are on his shoulder, to help set it in place and show it's standing on him. Also maybe a shadow of the birds body itself. Just a thought. :)

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D
The following user(s) said Thank You: roz

27 Aug 2014 12:24 #5639 by roz
Thanks for the tips, Dave. Maybe I'll get to try and fix those shadows some time. You're actually the second person who points that out, so I guess it's something worth fixing :)

And for the coat I really wanted to paint over with a brush(es) like I did with the rest of the image but it just didn't want to work out. I admit I didn't have the patience to continue looking for options, but rather decided to go with the overlay thing, be it painted by me and not ready-made. Next time I'll do better!

27 Aug 2014 22:52 #5648 by Domtopia
Replied by Domtopia on topic Finished Art of Roz

Thanks for the kind words and yes, it is a digital piece. Just curious though - does it look otherwise and how exactly? I ask because that's not the first time I get this kind of question and I'm not really sure what to make of it.

Yep, it is the texture. Sorry for the delayed response!

I think that the hair looks like it was done digitally, but the texture in the clothes is really good and makes it look more like a traditional piece. Texture is absolutely the biggest difference between the two methods of digital and traditional, just as Charlotte pointed out.

Keep sharing your stuff!

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!
The following user(s) said Thank You: roz

28 Aug 2014 06:11 #5655 by roz
Oh, I definitely will! I'll also open a WIP thread where I'll share the numerous projects I start.. and hope to finish some day.

Thank you all for the warm welcome!