May challenge - Alien excavation

Deadline for entry:

April challenge Voting open!

Totally Random

11 Sep 2017 09:30 #18124 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Totally Random
Sounds good :P I'm rather looking forward to seeing episode 2. With Midnight Texas I think I now have 2 shows a week to watch. Yay... (I'd prefer having something most evenings, but eventually TV will do what it always does and serve up three series I want to see, at once, all on the same day and time of the week and I'll be annoyed with there being too much to choose from...)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Sep 2017 19:01 #18128 by Charlotte
Just watched a documentary about an archeological dig in my "home areas" near where my father lives. Apparently people there were christian long before anyone had thought, rather than viking heathens... Anyhow, what I'd like to know is, why does that Swedish narrators always* have to use a "fake" voice when they talk? In this case a sort of "dramatic half-whisper" which just sounds silly.

*often enough anyhow... and mostly when it has to do with culture in some way... Does it get more interesting that way? Not for me... *grumbles*

11 Sep 2017 20:41 #18129 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Totally Random
I think all narrators/presenters in documentaries use the "dramatic whisper". I blame David Attenborough, he started it. :)

Hey, Charlotte, have you seen Svartsjön? That's the latest Swedish subtitle show to be shown here (with the friendlier title of Black Lake) and I'm wondering if I should pause my usual weekend session of Mad Men box sets to give it a go.

And in other random news...
Curly brackets are now officially my least favourite type of bracket. And why do comparisons have to have a double equals? Computer code syntax seemed much easier back when computers were rubbish.
And don't be blaming it on age again!

11 Sep 2017 21:30 #18131 by Charlotte
I haven't seen Svartsjön, I'm afraid. I tend to ignore most Swedish movies because I usually think the acting sucks :P (Might be that someone else won't feel that they emphasize words all wrong, if they don't know Swedish, just like I probably don't always notice that in Englsihs speaking movies...)

What are you coding? VRML used to have loads of curly brackets :P And you need a duble equal sign for the very illogical reason that just one of them doesn't actually MEAN equals... (Except to everyone but programmers of course)

11 Sep 2017 21:49 - 11 Sep 2017 21:51 #18132 by Digital Dave
Replied by Digital Dave on topic Totally Random
Or sometimes they will simply grab someone who is well known to narrate & think people will love it. :huh:

I've actually turned the channel after realizing I didn't care for the person they picked. Some names of those I didn't care for as a narrator are; David Hasselhoff, Samuel Jackson, James Earl Jones, etc. ... Yeah, these folks are well known, but they also have some of the most annoying voices, especially when just narrating something and not speaking on a TV show or a movie. Mr. Jackson would have to be the top of my list! :S I swear everyone uses him, and for everything you can think of. Seems like he's in every third commercial anymore! - And I've gotten to the point where I can't stand to hear his voice!!! Not to mention the new one that I just saw the other day... he actually sings. :blink:

PS - Is the new avatar theme, little fury folks that show their feet? :P

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

11 Sep 2017 22:08 #18133 by Charlotte
There's a movie (at least one anyway, I think?) where Samuel Jackson narrates I believe... I'd just think of that if I heard him in a commercial. Though sometimes I think it's kind of fun to just here a voice and go "oh that sounds familiar, I wonder if it's..."

And I was actually planning to do a sleeping dodo, but er... I was too tired. So I decided to reuse a drawing I did for Aywas. So the theme (if any) is "sleep" I think :p

11 Sep 2017 22:25 #18135 by Digital Dave
Yeah, I don't mind when it makes you think "I know that voice" and it takes a few moments to figure it out. But those I listed above are clear from the start and I won't watch them. :)

I just happened to see the similarity between yours and Banj's images. Except he's wrapped up his tail, so it can't fly up and smack him in the forehead! :P

11 Sep 2017 22:29 #18136 by Charlotte
lol hamsters don't have tails, silly! And mine's just a fluffy pillow. *snooze*

11 Sep 2017 22:58 #18137 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Totally Random
I'm shocked that someone doesn't like James Earl Jones. He has the best voice EVER, although it is sadly getting a bit thinner with age :(

I didn't notice any fluffy avatars. They don't appear in portrait mode. :P
*rotates screen*
Ah, now I see. :lol:

PS. Charlotte, I'm still scripting that lttle point and click thing. It's quite addictive and would be fun ... if it wasn't for those damn curly brackets. I always end up losing one somewhere in those nested IF... statements. :rage:

11 Sep 2017 23:21 - 11 Sep 2017 23:22 #18139 by Digital Dave

lol hamsters don't have tails, silly!

Sure they do, they just cut them short so they look like cool little rottweilers. :P

I'm shocked that someone doesn't like James Earl Jones. He has the best voice EVER, although it is sadly getting a bit thinner with age :(

Well, here in the US, they love using these guys for loads of commercials. And not only do I absolutely HATE commercials, when you hear these guys over and over all day long doing the very thing you hate, you get quite tired of hearing them. :) ... Plus, when I was growing up, he was the bad guy in Conan. I cheered when he was beheaded! :D ..but it was nothing personal ya know.