March challenge - Enter here!

Deadline for entry:

February challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

Totally Random

03 Sep 2017 14:03 #17934 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Totally Random
I'm guessing this explains it:
"Including small model data directly can have the advantage that your application doesn't need to run on a Web server, but the Web page will have to be fully loaded (including all model data) before any page content is displayed."

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 Sep 2017 15:12 #17935 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Totally Random
:giveup:
Oh no, this is another technical post that I don't understand. I'm just gonna have to admit it. I am definitely old and obsolete. :(

I don't recall ever seeing you post 3D stuff (perhaps my memory is going too :lol:) What software do you use to do it?

03 Sep 2017 15:40 #17936 by kazky
Replied by kazky on topic Totally Random
Same here Val, it’s all words that make no sense to me! :D

03 Sep 2017 18:02 - 03 Sep 2017 18:04 #17937 by Charlotte
well I used to do 3d stuff for a place called Cybertown but I think I probably stopped and that site went down, before I joined the IFX community so I haven't had anything to post. The last few things I did in 3D went poof with the reformatting of an old computer when it turned out that the security backup had never included the actual 3d files (apparently they weren't considered "documents" :blink:)

Anyway I started back in the 90'ies when most things were superexpensive except this one program called Spazz (later Flux I think?). I never understood it though, so I basically used a text editor and wrote the code. Much slower than using a modelling program of course but it also always felt more rewarding (or so I keep telling me since I don't understand how to use the fancy modelling programs). And well, I just recently looked back into X3D which supposedly is what came after VRML (which is the code I used to use) and it seems it's not too different. I've tried getting into X3D before, though, and failed for not even knowing where to start. Somehow, this time, I have a place to start. Not sure where to go from here, though. :lol:

EDIT:
some examples

03 Sep 2017 23:05 #17938 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Totally Random
The first raytracer I ever used was DBW-Render (or something like that) on the Amiga and you had to type in the scene with that (there was no GUI at all!) I'd completely forgotten about it until you mentioned the text editor. :) And it was sooo hard trying to visualise and create a scene without actually seeing it. You only realised it was all wrong after a three hour render. And when it went right the best I could achieve was some mirror balls on a checkerboard plane.

I like those interior scenes you've done. They're really impressive and I want to be able to move around and zoom in on all the details. :)

04 Sep 2017 07:58 #17939 by Charlotte
Thanks Val :)

The top scene was actually intended for an image map so maybe a little backwards :P but it seemed reasonable at the time to build a 3d scene for a 3d community even if that particular function was 2d (representing different kinds of art). The scene with the medieval style furniture is basically just combining all the items in that "series", but my :ohmy: it's dark. I know what should be there and can't see it anyway :p

04 Sep 2017 09:02 #17940 by kazky
I had a 3D render program on the amiga, I can't even remember what it was called now, but to complete a donut shape you used to set it running and go to bed, it may or may not be done in the morning!

04 Sep 2017 09:43 #17941 by Charlotte
I never even had an amiga... :unsure:

04 Sep 2017 12:37 #17942 by kazky
you're too young :lol:

04 Sep 2017 17:55 #17950 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Totally Random
I had many 3D applications on the Amiga and they all took ages to render anything (and that was on a pretty speedy Amiga). The first 3D program I had was VU-3D on the Spectrum where you could add a primitive or two, tell it what direction the light was and wait an hour for a low res black and white image to appear line by line. When the finished image finally appeared I would look at it and think "that's a bit rubbish" and reset the computer to play a game instead.