May challenge - Alien excavation

Deadline for entry:

April challenge Voting open!

Totally Random

21 Sep 2018 22:34 #22240 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Totally Random
And on my TV tonight....
After the ongoing disappointment of A Discovery Of Witches (haven't given up on it just yet but please hurry up!) I shall now watch The Fifth Element.
I've only seen it once (maybe twice?) before and absolutely hated it.
Numerous years later, I may change my mind.
May....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Sep 2018 08:21 #22241 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Totally Random
I watched the last episode of the latest season of Shetland yesterday. :( I miss it already.

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

22 Sep 2018 08:25 #22242 by Charlotte
Oh and I looked up a discovery of witches because it sounded faintly familiar. It's written by Deborah Harkness (among others), and I assume based on her books, the first of which have the same name. I accidentally got the second book in the trilogy since it didn't say anything about being a trilogy anywhere that was easy to find, and hated it. So I'm not surprised the TV series isn't much better. Though part of what I hated about the book was the use of first person perspective... I assume that would not be as clear or as annoying on TV...

22 Sep 2018 12:47 #22244 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Totally Random

A I shall now watch The Fifth Element.
I've only seen it once (maybe twice?) before and absolutely hated it.

Then you probably wont like Valerian either. They are tonally very similar, and Fifth Element was partially inspired by the same source material.

22 Sep 2018 14:01 - 22 Sep 2018 14:08 #22246 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Totally Random
Yes, it was the mention of Valerian that made me want to go back and watch The Fifth Element again. And I didn't hate it this time. It was still an interesting mess in places but the years since the last viewing have made me appreciate the designs a bit more. Chris Tucker is still completely intolerable though.

I haven't read A Discovery Of Witches but the TV show seems to be turning into a very slow Twilight. (And I haven't seen or read that either. :P)
But I do quite like first-person novels, when they're done right- if the author can't write in different styles/voices then it does expose that inadequacy. I think they work best when the narrator is a bit unreliable in some way, like in The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-Time, or Engleby. Also I remember a book by David Lodge called Thinks... which alternated between two characters' first-person views (Edit: although now I'm wondering if they were just biased third-person POVs? My memory isn't what it used to be. :lol:) and then the same events were recounted from a neutral third-person chapter. It managed to be clever, insightful and, most of all, funny even if the ending was a bit of a fudged cop-out.

22 Sep 2018 15:03 #22250 by Charlotte

I watched the last episode of the latest season of Shetland yesterday. :( I miss it already.

Correction - it was the rerun of the next to last season. I only started to watch the series when they showed the last season here... But I like listening to them all talk. I even think with a Shetland accent afterwards :p

22 Sep 2018 17:55 #22259 by Banj
I don't understand the Shetland accent, I don't understand the accent of normal size horse either.:dumb:

22 Sep 2018 18:01 #22260 by Charlotte
:dry: How about Donkeys?

22 Sep 2018 18:21 #22261 by Banj
Last one I talked to was a bit of an Ass.

22 Sep 2018 18:35 #22262 by Charlotte
Doesn't surprise me...