April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN Feb 23 - Fairy Tale - WIPs

25 Feb 2023 17:53 #44589 by Charlotte
Thanks. I'm kind of happy with the wood and the wall, but the rest. Meh, it needs more time. And a painter who hasn't forgotten how to do stuff. :dry: I'm not happy with the hair at all... I look at references, think "that doesn't seem so hard to do" and then it turns into a bland mess. :dry:

Anyway, it'll have to wait. I want to play some Skyrim and forget that I'm waiting for the phone to ring.
Dad fell again, yesterday, and broke his leg again... Well, I think he broke the opposite leg this time. It's almost exactly two years since last time. Anyway, he was sent to hospital, promised to let us know how things were going and.... silence. My sister called the hospital earlier and he was sent to surgery at around 2 pm, which is almost 5 hours ago and they were supposed to call her back once he was out of surgery and awake and back in his ward. Where he really should be by now. :dry:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

25 Feb 2023 18:43 #44590 by Valence
:(
Hope he starts to feel better once the doctors do their thing.

25 Feb 2023 19:02 #44591 by Charlotte
Yeah me too. And that he manages to keep his phone charged before it completely discharges and then requires the pin code that he always forgets. That seems to always happen every time he's in the hospital... Or did I remember to take away the pin code? I think maybe I did that last time... Let's hope so... But then, dad probably would just assume it was still there and that he couldn't use the phone, anyway :dry:

26 Feb 2023 00:49 #44593 by Digital Dave
Sorry to hear of your Dad's injury.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

26 Feb 2023 23:48 #44605 by Valence
Trees. :confident:

Attachments:

27 Feb 2023 14:26 #44608 by Charlotte
Trees :aha:

I posted my final and then immediately felt I should have reworked the colours on the dress... (Specifically front and trims) but No! It's done. :stare:

27 Feb 2023 14:32 #44609 by Valence
The colours look fine to me. The only thing I'd consider tweaking is maybe adding a drop shadow or stronger outline to the text. The word "Once" does disappear a little into the background.

27 Feb 2023 14:44 #44610 by Charlotte
Well... I tried using the layer effects several times and several different effects and ended up having to paint it by hand to get anything remotely like what i wanted. It's not ideal, certainly doesn't look like one of those "gold prints" I tried to mimic... but I think I might be too tired of the whole thing to make changes. However, there IS a day tomorrow. We'll see.

Also, dad's not doing great. So might have to spend tomorrow trying to visit him, maybe. Not sure.

27 Feb 2023 15:27 #44611 by Valence
It already looks like Gold text. :)
And if you've been using metallic paint then sometimes just changing the depth of the grain on that layer can alter the shine.

It's gonna be a struggle to get mine finished even if there is another day. There's a big chunk of texturing to be done and some tweaking of the lights to get some edges to pop out of the gloom and then (and I'd forgotten about this) I need to find time to actually render the final image properly. And that will have to be in super sloooow Cycles cos that's the only way the Adaptive Subdivision Displacement works. :(

27 Feb 2023 22:19 #44623 by Valence
Wait. What was that message that flashed up for a fraction of a second as I closed Blender? :hmm:
It'd better not be that one saying that it hasn't saved the texture mask I just painted. :paranoid:

*relaunches Blender to check*

:facepalm:

Why can't it automatically save those things when I save the project? :shakefist: