March challenge - Enter here!

Deadline for entry:

February challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

CGAN Feb 23 - Fairy Tale - WIPs

17 Feb 2023 21:21 #44468 by Charlotte
I started on something earlier today... But not sure I can get it together like I want...

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18 Feb 2023 16:39 #44478 by Charlotte
Continued today... I should learn to make more finished sketches before I start the lines so I know where to put the lines. 

And no matter where I place the mirror frame, there will be tangents.... but... right on the tip of her nose? :dry: :facepalm: 

Attachments:

18 Feb 2023 16:48 #44479 by Banj
"Who is the fairest in the land?"
"You my queen, at least you would be if your nose hadn't grown so large to prevent tangents."

18 Feb 2023 16:52 #44480 by Charlotte
Queen: :shakefist:

:D

19 Feb 2023 12:21 #44490 by Valence
This is lovely so far.
I like the way that the depth and design of the mirror frame helps to show the perspective. Also the consistency of the two portraits, both in terms of proportion and angle, is really impressive and that little glance to the viewer from the reflection is captured very well.

Keep going. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Charlotte

19 Feb 2023 14:07 #44491 by Charlotte
I guess the linework is kind of done, except I don't feel the earrings match the rest of the jewellery and the fingers by the apple bowl look... er... kind of... well, just wrong. I tried taking a photo of my own hand for reference but they're just too chubby and never seem to look right... Plus it was hard to get the right angle, anyway... :dry: 
It doesn't help that you'd really only see the tip of three fingers if her pose is as I picture it, and the current placement is too high. Maybe I need to add some canvas. ANd then add to the dress/skirt. :dry: Maybe I'll just skip the hand... 

So... there probably will be changes. But I might have time for flat colours at least, before deadline :unsure: 

Attachments:

19 Feb 2023 15:56 #44493 by Banj
The frame of the mirror is better positioned now. I would probably leave those extra fingers out, or maybe have her hand across her waist in the reflection.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Charlotte

19 Feb 2023 16:22 #44494 by Charlotte
I did take the fingers out, actually (but then I went on to play Skyrim so I did nothing about the earrings). And when I removed the hand (and moved the little leaf and added another, to make the space less empty) I considered that she might be holding her hand in front of her. But I never considered whether it'd show up in the mirror :dumb:

Considering how pesky hands and fingers are, I think I'm just gonna leave it out entirely, though. :dry:

19 Feb 2023 16:31 #44498 by Banj

Considering how pesky hands and fingers are, I think I'm just gonna leave it out entirely, though. :dry:

I think it's a contagious epidemic, first one, then another. Before we know it everyone will be hiding hands 

19 Feb 2023 16:43 #44499 by Charlotte
:dry: Quite likely.

Keep those hands to yourself sneakthief. :giggle: