April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

November 2018 - HAIR! - WIPs

24 Nov 2018 22:10 #22873 by Charlotte
*took a while to realize oak's talking about the Gandalf drawing and not my cat* :dumb:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Nov 2018 22:13 #22875 by Valence
If the dodge and burn tools are a bit too sensitive and destructive for you then using layer modes instead can give you a bit more control.
A "Multiply" layer will darken your values and I often like the "Screen" layer to boost saturation and light. Or if you prefer doing both light and shadow on one layer then "Soft Light" or "Overlay" can be used.
The process is just like glazing with traditional paints, and this way, if the effect is too strong you can just knock the opacity down without messing up what you've already painted.

25 Nov 2018 10:05 #22878 by oaktree
Charlotte
Sorry for the confusion I did not know your cat has the great name Gandalf please give him some extra treats and my apologies if there was upset in any way.

Valence
Thanks for the advice I tend to use layer modes but never seem to get the extent of expressiveness with them as Micro seemed to get with the dodge and burn tools. I know it cannot just be down to ability and practice. I think it must be the third eye that artist have the one that is inside which some people have the ability to switch on at will and see just what is needed.
I believe that I have a draftsmans ability to produce a reasonable representation of a subject but have never been able to switch on the third eye to use for myself. I have the third eye because when I see great work by other people its there I can see and appreciate what they have achieved.
Yours Frustratingly
Oak

25 Nov 2018 13:11 #22879 by Charlotte
It's OK - he's not a very good reader so he has no idea what's been said :D

25 Nov 2018 19:06 #22880 by oaktree
An update from me first go at finish look
Attachments:

26 Nov 2018 21:20 #22899 by Charlotte

Pretty much only* that hair down the back left to do... But Gandalf isn't letting me do much so I'm starting to think I won't manage to finish before the deadline.... :dry:

*somehow this hair seems much more difficult than the braids... :unsure:

Attachments:

26 Nov 2018 21:35 #22900 by Valence
Finish before the deadline! :shakefist:

26 Nov 2018 21:39 #22901 by Charlotte
Yes Ma'm! I mean Sir! :salute:

27 Nov 2018 04:28 - 27 Nov 2018 04:30 #22902 by microscopi
I love the shading in yours Charlotte, it is like this silky texture, especially the skin, the face almost looks like porcelan, but the linework really brings it out too. The hair looks great to me, the shading is really well done, definitely could leave it just like that and it would still be awesome.

Lighting is looking really great so far Oak, especially around his hands, that's a way better job then I did. I think his face is the focal point apart from the gem, his nose and cheeks would have more of a glow then around his eyes, if you made the white of his eyes darker then you could make his eyes glow with the reflection to bring more attention to him. I don't have the 'third eye' at all, I think it takes centuries for that to happen.

27 Nov 2018 15:57 - 27 Nov 2018 22:32 #22904 by oaktree
Charlotte I agree with both Microscopi and Valence, your line work is superb and finish on time.
I also agree with micro about my effort so far I am happy with the hands but the face and hair are giving me problems . here is an update
Attachments: