April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

November 2018 - HAIR! - WIPs

11 Nov 2018 23:49 #22742 by Valence
Nice to see some colours going in, oaktree. This is when pictures really start to come to life! Almost time for some lighting. :)

And Charlotte's jumping in too! :woohoo:
Love the striking eyes in your drawing. (And I'm always envious of those patient lines!)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 Nov 2018 00:21 - 12 Nov 2018 00:21 #22743 by Atto
Replied by Atto on topic November 2018 - HAIR! - WIPs
Those familiar aqualine features are looking good Charlotte - so jealous of your lovely line work every time you post.

I'd like to see yours get really dark and claustrophobic Oak, I think the warm glow and some nice rim light that others have mentioned could look really good contrasting against some cool blue reflected light from the 'bubble'

Not much further along with mine. I've just decided to work on one area at a time, working across the canvas as I go. I know it's not really the most efficient way to work and I risk everything being out of balance but I'm just trying to keep my interest levels up and enjoy the whole thing right now.

I've taken some of your advice Micro and enlarged his head. I've also shortened his legs and torso and beefed up his arms a little and I'm thinking our dwarf looks a little more dwarfy now. I've got no reference for the dwarf and the troll is going to be so far removed from the (human) reference I'm using that I thought I'd go a little more cartoony with this one.

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.
Attachments:

12 Nov 2018 21:34 #22746 by Valence
That tip of enlarging the head has worked perfectly. It looks recognisably dwarf-y now. :)
And I also like that "overhang" of his fat belly. :lol:
I can already imagine it bouncing and rippling when he lands!

12 Nov 2018 22:18 #22748 by oaktree
Thanks for the encouragement all, rim lighting hair painting etc these are things I have read about and seen described how to do but have no talent or ability to transfer onto an image of my own every thing I do seems to turn into a cartoon image.
Atto sill loving the movement you have going on.
Charlotte I have not got a clue how you produce such clean line work it is just great you should give us a tutorial.
For what it is worth here is an update from me
Attachments:

13 Nov 2018 08:27 #22751 by Charlotte
Tutorial? :blink: That would be a short one! :D

But if I tell you my secret you won't admire my work anymore! :silly:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

15 Nov 2018 04:43 - 15 Nov 2018 05:34 #22793 by microscopi
Looking great guys, that looks a lot better Atto, thats coming along great Oak, lots of color detail. Really digging your char so far Charlotte. Scribbled an idea that was stuck in my head.

Attachments:

17 Nov 2018 17:19 #22819 by Charlotte
Atto - have agree with Valence about that tummy! Also love the captured action :)

Oak, sometimes starting out cartoonish and the going from there to refine and soften things can work. And cartoonish isn't bad either ;)

Micro - this makes me think of the cat in the hat :P like, what do you get if you mix dr seuss and tolkien?

My cat isn't letting me get much done, so here's where I got to before he took over the tablet again...

Attachments:

17 Nov 2018 19:10 #22820 by Valence
Nice scribble there, micro. Love the contrast of the face peering out from that writhing mass of hair. :)

And that's a great start on the braid, Charlotte. If you can keep that depth and detail all the way down then it will look very good indeed!

17 Nov 2018 20:35 - 17 Nov 2018 20:37 #22821 by Charlotte
Thanks Val
Did a bit more while the cat wasn't looking.

EDIT: I need to change the shadow below the nose... and I think the braid needs a change of direction as well (the part not shaded)... Haven't decided on colour or not. See, I'm not patient at all with my lines. I start off trying to use them and then I end up shading stuff with the black/grey pencil anyway.

Attachments:

18 Nov 2018 14:08 #22824 by Charlotte
...and more...
(and now I've just finished a 1.5 hours phone call with mom so I am exhausted and will most likely not get anything useful done for the rest of the day...)

Attachments: