April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

November 2018 - HAIR! - WIPs

06 Nov 2018 13:10 #22683 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic November 2018 - HAIR! - WIPs
Oaktree, I think your hands (well, your Dwarf's hands) could do with some adjustment to the finger widths and positions. The little finger on the hand on the left of the image looks too thin to me, and the finger positions on the right hand hand are kind of awkward (I tried and failed to get my hand into that position).

Here's a quick scribble over (I also moved the hands up slightly away from the bottom edge).
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 Nov 2018 23:17 #22697 by oaktree
Thanks BJ I knew there was a something bothering me about the hands but I was more concerned about the hair on his head and what to do with it . I will make adjustments to the hands thanks for pointing it out.

07 Nov 2018 08:10 - 07 Nov 2018 08:12 #22700 by microscopi
Very cool design Oak, I like the perspective of looking up at him, gives him a more dominant presence. Maybe for the lighting you could do some cool flashlight pointing up in your face kind of effect, like the light the ball would give off when it's glowing, could make it real dramatic, if you wanted to go that route.
Also putting a light source behind him could allow you to include a cool rim lighting around him to make him pop out more, I'm really all about lighting these days =)anyway I really like what you have so far!

07 Nov 2018 19:34 - 07 Nov 2018 19:39 #22710 by Atto
Replied by Atto on topic November 2018 - HAIR! - WIPs
Must be the month of the dwarfs Oaktree as I had the same hairy dwarf idea - not quite as peaceful or thoughtful as yours though.
I love the idea of this precious 'bubble' with a lock of hair in the big rough hands of your dwarf - a really nice story telling device!
Here's my first attempt - and though once again I may not finish - at least I'm drawing which is a big step for me right now.
So... our HAIRy dwarf launching himself (as all good dwarfs should) at some kind of HAIRy troll.

Edit: Think I've messed up our dwarfs proportions again! I'll take another look tomorrow.

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.
Attachments:

07 Nov 2018 20:29 #22711 by oaktree
Micro thanks for the comment I think you read my mind, light at the front low down and a furnace behind that's the plan.
Atto thank you for the comment I like the movement you have going on in your sketch.

For me I'm struggling with the gesture of the cupping hand and with the hair on his head decisions decisions .

07 Nov 2018 20:54 - 07 Nov 2018 20:56 #22716 by Valence
Yep, I'm liking all of these so far.
Terrific action poses in yours, Atto! Really dynamic and exciting but the gestures also work as compositional devices creating loads of curves and spirals through the image. Great stuff!

And that's an interesting story you've added to yours, oaktree. It gives us a bit of context to the character and adds a depth and understanding to the expression.
I think everyone's comments about the hands are spot on. I'd add my own advice but ... hands?!? :dunno: :lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atto

07 Nov 2018 21:53 #22717 by oaktree
so this is what I have so far
Attachments:

10 Nov 2018 22:50 #22739 by oaktree
An update from me
Attachments:

11 Nov 2018 08:46 - 11 Nov 2018 08:49 #22740 by microscopi
Nice flow in that fight scene Atto! I think you nailed the illusion of movement part very nicely. I was just thinking, if you made his head twice as big, like oversized would make his body seem smaller like a dwarf. The gaze of the dwarf is off perspective a bit.

Looking very nice Oak, you have some great colors in there, sort of reminds me of early 80's cartoons, like he-man. I loved that show. Sheera not quite so much. You could play around with the saturation to quickly lay out some ideas for lighting, then use an unaltered copy, use the lasso tool and do the lighting that way, it also gives you a visual outline, to see where to put the shadow before you lay it down.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atto

11 Nov 2018 14:26 #22741 by Charlotte
I have begun... (mimicking the undead in GW2 saying "It has begun" probably doesn't work here...)

Totally crappy sketch from facial reference

Totally crappy sketch with cleaning up layer

Where the clean layer is at (Actual WIP1). I need to figure out some clothes.

And yes, I went with an elf. I already did a dwarf beard on that maki (my current avatar) after all :D

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.
Attachments: