April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

November 2018 - HAIR! - WIPs

02 Nov 2018 13:38 - 02 Nov 2018 13:40 #22645 by Banj
HAIR!

Brief: Show it, flow it... etc. Apparently it's Movember which is something to do with moustaches and November (:dunno:), so because of that it's time for you to comb up with something hair related. Moustaches, beards, fur, and so on.

Deadline: Entries must be posted by the witching hour on Friday the 30th of November.

This is where you post your WIPs . Your final entry should be posted over here: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/current-...8-hair-final-entries

Challenge rules and guidelines:
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...s/39-challenge-rules

Rules in brief:
  • All challenge entries must be your own work.
  • You should post at least two WIP images that are clearly different from your final entry and each other.
  • Your final entry should contain your image (inserted so it shows up full size) and at least two links to your WIP posts on the forum.
  • No chatter in the finals thread – if you have questions, post them in the WIP thread or PM an admin.
  • Feedback is allowed & encouraged together with the voting and in the WIP thread.
  • Deadline is given in UK time (midnight GMT) with a grace period of 5 minutes for getting the post sorted.
  • Each member may cast one vote.
  • No cheating! Admins may decide to disqualify an entry that does not adhere to the above rules.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

02 Nov 2018 13:49 #22649 by Charlotte
I moustach'k you how you combed up with that pun right there... :silly:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

02 Nov 2018 21:18 #22660 by Valence
That pun works even better if you do it in a Sean Connery voice. :lol:

I think this may be a challenge for those ArtRage stickers that I overuse so much! ;)

(And speaking of ArtRage stuff there's a specific ArtRage tutorial in this month's IFX, which I got the other day, and there's some custom brush downloads that come with it. I've been playing around with them today and there are a couple of Impressionist ones that make some interesting shapes and textures. )

02 Nov 2018 21:51 #22661 by Charlotte
Well, obviously I speak with Sean Connery's voice. Always. :D

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

02 Nov 2018 22:08 #22662 by Valence
Obvioushly. :)

02 Nov 2018 23:01 #22663 by oaktree
Sketched Gandalf tonight there are many references for him online. Just thought I would post it.
Attachments:

04 Nov 2018 19:37 #22669 by oaktree
Getting started early with this one going for a dwarf don't know what he's going to be doing yet though.
Attachments:

04 Nov 2018 21:06 #22670 by Valence
Wow! You're racing ahead this month, oaktree!
They both look great. Love the dwarf's big nose. :)

04 Nov 2018 21:46 #22671 by oaktree
Thanks Valence here 's a bit more
Attachments:

06 Nov 2018 09:30 #22678 by oaktree
Here is another update. In order to paint this I needed know the story behind it.
Here is the story as I understand and see it.

In the early days of the first age dwarfs and elves lived in friendship and often traded with each other,
each using their skills to produce objects of great beauty and magic.
The dwarf in the painting is an artisan of the forge his particular skill is with the manipulation of crystal.
He has a commission to encase a glowing locket of hair from an elven princess into a crystal object and at this point he has chosen an orb shape.
The hair glows with the light of the full moon and is said to reveal objects that are affected by the light of the full mood such as moon runes and the creatures that will become known as werewolves.
As we see our dwarf he is standing with his back to the forge which is still lit, he wanted to see how the light from the encased hair would show and so used his back to shield it from the light of the forge.
Attachments: